Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L.A. vicinity

Confidently Agnostic!

L.A. vicinity

I'm going to be in the Long Beach area next week, and assuming the weather down there cleans up I'm looking for suggestions for a daytrip. Anything within reasonable (say 2 to 3 hours) driving distance would be appreciated. Other than another conference where I just stayed at the LB convention center the whole time I've never really been in the area.

Suggestions for nice scenic stretches of coastline (should I head south towards san diego? north?), or really good parks would be appreciated. I know Death Valley and Joshua Tree are sort of in the vicinity but how long does it take in practice to visit one?

Not sure if I'm bringing the LF camera or not; this is more just for the excursion than for photography.

Should I just hop a bus to Tijuana and visit the scungiest part of Mexico instead?

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: L.A. vicinity

Hmm, using lfinfo like a travel agency... I just don't have time to really research the region and I appreciate the photographer's perspective anyway.

How about the Getty museum, and its photo collection?

Eric Woodbury

Don't know what it is you're looking for, but I just visited the Getty Museums, both the Villa and The Center, and the Huntington Garden. No tripods at the Getty. The Center has photo exhibits and good architecture to photograph. The Villa didn't do it for me, but it is a nice museum of antiquities. I like the buildings in downtown LA and the Disney Hall. If you want desert, then Anza Borrego isn't that far and the closest to Long Beach. It will be spring there soon if not already.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Walter a drive in Highway 1 heading North is always interesting.
    When people ask these kind of questions I am not sure to know how to answer because one person garbage is another person treasure.
    California has all kind of scenery from the desert to lakes to Ocean.
    The Salton Sea is a different kind of beauty if you can stand the smell of rotting fish.

I hope someone else will chip in because, as I said, I can only do so much.
    Domenico

Darkcloth Fumbler

i'm north of LA, and always wanted to shoot at Vasquez Rocks. haven't made the trip yet, but it's probably a two to three hour drive with no traffic. a cool geologic formation, home to a few tv and film shoots over the years.

map

wiki entry here
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Confidently Agnostic!

Great, a few good ideas that I probably wouldn't have found already... weird formations, nearby desert, and photo museum. Thanks guys

Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge is also nice. There are also a number of waterfalls that are in full song, given the recent rains. I'll provide details if you'd like.

Michael E. Gordon

You're coming to my 'hood (Long Beach).

Scenic coastline: Palos Verdes Peninsula (20 mins. or so north of Long Beach).

Joshua Tree NP: Long Beach to West entrance: just over two hours, IF (and a BIG IF) you drive it during non-peak hours.

Death Valley NP: is not a day trip (unless you're a masochist).

It's a big state with a plethora of opportunities, so there's no shortage of things to do here. Beware that LA-area traffic is legendary, so I would not consider driving during peak drive times unless you get off on that sort of thing.

If you need any Long Beach dining or drinking advice, let me know! BTW, I'm only five minutes from the Convention Center. I'd be glad to meet you for a beverage and discuss possible itineraries.
    Last edited by Michael Gordon; 29-Jan-2008 at 16:43. Reason: addition

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    If you need any Long Beach dining or drinking advice, let me know! BTW, I'm only five minutes from the Convention Center. I'd be glad to meet you for a beverage and discuss possible itineraries.
    Thanks for the offer; I'm probably going to be pretty busy with the conference most of the time (except for when I play hooky for the short daytrip), but I'll drop you a message or something and see if you're free if I see a spare moment or two I'm staying at the Queen Mary.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions too. What time does rush hour start and end roughly (if it can be said to start / end at all)?