Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's talk about 4x5 pinhole cameras...

Re: Let's talk about 4x5 pinhole cameras...

The price is not that far out of line with what some other "kits" sell for. Some people just aren't comfortable making these things. After teaching a few workshops I can understand why there is a market (small) for pre-drilled holes. Had one gal who was too vain to wear glasses and for the life of her could not master the drilling technique and so always had multiple dimples on her bit of brass. If she removed the needle to check her progress, she couldn't see to go back to the same spot!

That said, you can make your own, let some of these guys make you some or you can get a "kit" for quite a bit less through eBay if you search for PinholeBilly (not me). Other "kits" exist too.

Hmmm, I pushed a sewing needle through a piece of Aluminum foil and that seems to have worked just fine. Figured the diameter of the sewing needle by the description on its packaging....to each, his own, I guess.

I have a Zero Image 4x5 with 2 extra shims, though I usually operate this camera in its 25mm focal length configuration, with a pinhole (not a zone plate). I have sold some huge enlargements from this camera, and I typically create 40 megapixel scans with my black/white negative results, at the 25mm focal length. I also have a Zero 2000, which I also enjoy thoroughly.

If anyone is interested, my pinhole set (with the newer photos near the bottom) on flickr is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4142742...7594506881880/

Despite my huge film scan sizes (40 megapixels for the 4x5), I have only posted 1 megapixel (or less) versions of those images on flickr, due to a problem recently with photo theft by a new flickr member.

One thing I'm personally interested in is converting my existing camera (or creating a new one) that allows for more precisely timed high-speed exposures. If I were to shoot with ISO3200 sheet film, then, on a bright, sunny day, at f/138, my exposure times could be quite short. Because I'm interested in shooting moving objects, and also to allow handheld shooting at high ISO's, I'd like to find a way to outfit my 4x5 with a shutter that would allow me to do fairly accurate timed exposures down to 1/50 or 1/100 second or so. However, all the compur shutters I've looked at are "tall enough" that they would interfere with the 160 degree field of view of my 4x5 camera. I've looked into Melles Griot ultra-thin electronic shutters (like the ones I used to use on LN2-cooled CCD dewars when I did astronomy observations at a big scope, back in grad school), but the shutter + controller + power supply would cost over $2,000! I'm looking for a mechanical, cheaper solution to my problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear about them.

I feel that pinhole photography is an artistic medium ripe for experimentation and creating truly world-class art.

-Scott

Hi Scott-- I chatted with you via Flickr (xtol7) and ended up getting a Zero Image 4x5--I love it! AFAIK, there isn't any ISO3200 4x5 film, but I guess you could push a 400 speed film. I'd worry a little about the hot spot/vignetting effect getting unmanageable because of the increase in contrast if you did a three stop push.

FYI--Scott's flickr stream is definitely worth a look--he has some great stuff.

Barry,

I think you just answered my question for me. Because I'd be limited to film speeds of around 400 and less, I'm going to forget the whole idea of "high speed" pinhole photography. I was assuming I could find really high ISO films in 4x5 format. Thanks for your good words on my pinhole work, and I just added you as a flickr contact. I recently created a print about 40" wide from a 4x5 pinhole scan, and it did really well at an art show. It's now hanging, framed, in a wealthy individual's living room.

Thanks again, Barry, especially for that "heads up" about the film iso issue... I wouldn't want to purposely push 400 speed film to 3200.

Scott

I have a pinhole in a crown graphic lens board, just clip it in when I'm fed up of focus,
    it also gives you a change of focal lenght

bob