Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Directions to Yosemite in April

Re: Driving Directions to Yosemite in April

I am closing out my second tour right now. A third tour is definitely on the horizon.

Was Greg Hunter is one of your workshops? He moved from LA to Colorado a few years back. I thought he was in Denver or nearby.

Very nice website by the way. You have great work on there.

CH

Eric Biggerstaff

Greg was not in my workshop but I have met him a couple of times. He is a very nice person and talented photographer. He has been assisting in Alan's workshops for the past year.

Thanks for the compliment on the work! Nice words make me stay at it.

Hope to meet you soon.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric,
    The most direct way for you to get to YNP is to go west on 70. At exit 178 in Utah take route 50 to Delta. Continue on 50 to Nevada (80 miles from Delta to Baker), across Nevada (Baker, Ely, Carson City) and into California. From there you can take your preferred route south to YNP. This route is more direct and quicker than going north to the 80 and definitely faster than dropping south on the 15 to Las Vegas and around the south end of the Sierras. (And what they say about 50 being the "loneliest road in America" is probably correct.) Some interesting photo opportunities but make sure you keep the gas tank full. I do a lot of aerial photo work in the area from Delta to Carson City so I have some understanding of the trip. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Ric

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks Ric,

Let me run that one on the map.

I have driven to Yosemite several times but always when Tioga was open, so this one I need to figure out a bit.

Thanks for the directions and I may touch base with you for some more suggestions.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

Ric,

Ahh, now I see it.

That is sort of the way I usually go, but when I get to Ely I take 6 down to Tonopah then over into California.

Your way looks interesting.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

The most direct way for you to get to YNP is to go west on 70. At exit 178 in Utah take route 50 to Delta. Continue on 50 to Nevada (80 miles from Delta to Baker), across Nevada (Baker, Ely, Carson City) and into California.

This still takes you to SLT and would be a painful way across Nevada unless you wanted to stop someplace like ELY(an old railroad museum). Hwy 50 across Nevada is really a lonely road, much of it is two lane and I would not use it unless there was a specific reason. 70 from Denver to the Salt Lake area and then 80 to Reno would be much quicker with more intermediate places to stay.

steve simmons

if you haven't tried it, check out plotting the different routes on Google maps. A recent feature added is that you can grab one part of the route google plotted and move it to another road and get an alternate route, so you can get mileage/time comparisons for the different routes pretty easily.

I took 50 my last trip across Nevada. Very severe but also very beautiful. Just make sure you're in a very reliable car. Lonliest road in America.

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I used the AAA.com trip planner and here is what it says:

Option 1 - Denver to Salt Lake to Reno to Placerville to Yosemite

Distance: 1,330.5 miles Estimated Time: 20 hrs, 33 min

Option 2 - Denver to Delta,Utah to Ely, NV to Carson City, NV to Placerville, CA to YNP

Distance: 1,231.9 miles Estimated Time: 22 hours, 46 min

Option 3: Denver to Las Vegas, NV to Bakersfield, CA to Yosemite

Distance 1,233.7 miles Estimate Time: 18 hours, 32 min

Due to weather concerns at that time of year, I am leaning towards the southern (option 3) route as it appears faster. But I may come back the Option 2 route.

I have driven it straight through from YNP to Denver, but that was a LONG day.

Thanks everyone!

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Erik,
    On the southern route check the time of day and the day of the week you plan on hitting Las Vegas. There is construction on the 15 just coming into Las Vegas from the north. They are widening that section so first they are making it narrower. Rush hour traffic in the morning will be worse than in the afternoon. Going out the south end rush hour will start around 3:30 and last to a little after six. Main problem would be an accident which is a normal occurance. From Primm on the NV/CA line to Baker, CA there is construction. Check with the CA highway people to see when the road gets shut down to one lane. The general rule on travel on the 15 from LV to LA is that you don't want to be going south on Sunday afternoon or north on Friday afternoon.
    Steve S. is right about the 50 being lonely but it is a fast road. Speeds will be about the same as going on the 80 except in the towns. On the northern route along the 80 there are interesting places including the Ruby mountains just south of Elko.
    There could be a spring storm in April but it won't be too bad. Once one gets down off the Colorado Plateau and into the Great Basin at that time of year Spring is definitely on the way although there will still be snow in the passes.
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images