Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Now that will be a Birthday to remember

It certainly would, although it may well be my last...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i am interested. i would like to get one. BUT i find it a bit trouble some that i get almost no responses from Mr Ritter. i have sent many e mails inquiring about costs, build info, etc. i finally had to call on the phone. after that i did receive an e mail answering most of my questions!

i understand he may be understaffed. if that is the case an employee is in order. it would be a tremendous benefit to his business to have awesome photos of these works of art as well as some customer service! i understand all the "buy in america" but at what price?

again, i am interested in a camera from mr ritter it is not an easy decision.

eddie

I'd love to have an assistant, too. In fact I've emailed Maria Sharapova and Megan Foster a number of times about coming to New Hampshire and working for nearly no money, but having a lot of breaks, and for some reason I have received no responses. Can't understand it.

I don't know where to start about your rant re: Richard. Give him a break. A half hour after I left on Wednesday he lost electricity for four hours. He's on the last pole on the line, and his internet speeds rarely exceed 25kbps. But if you saw where he lives, you'd want to move in.

Even he tells people that the phone is the best bet, and your post says that he did respond, just not fast enough for you...

But if he's being that unresponsive, maybe Megan Foster responded to him?? Richard, do you have somebody stashed up there in the woods? Gonna share?

Eddie, glad you've made your decision, and I assume it's not Richard. Some might feel relieved.
    Last edited by Bruce Barlow; 2-Feb-2008 at 04:38. Reason: added wisdom.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Do I hear echoes of the Ron Wisner Business plan?

B. Dalton

Looking at the photos of the 810 and ULF models, I can't make out how the cameras are focussed. Are the standards just slid forward and back, or am I missing something?

Blacky,

How dare you compare Richard Ritter with Ron Wisner!!!!

Richard is an active participant on this forum and openly shares his knowledge and wisdom. As Bruce pointed out above, and as I have pointed out on previous threads, Richard is at the "end of the line" when it comes to phone service and electricity. He lives in God's Country and Mother Nature often decides the fate of Richard's phone and/or electricity. Richard is also a one man show. If he decides to take a week off and go photograph, teach a workshop or visit family he may not be able to return a call or e-mail as soon as you might like. That is why if you are serious about contacting Richard your best bet is to pick up the phone and call him.

If someone leaves Richard a garbled phone message, it isn't Richard's fault. If he can't understand the caller's phone number that too isn't Richard's fault.

A simple search of this forum will turn up numerous posters shouting Richard's praises for the quality of his workmanship and fairness of his prices.

I don't ever remember seeing Blacky Dalton or eddie listed on Tom Peter's list of Outstanding Service Providers!

We, as a community, should be doing our collective best to support Richard. We are lucky to have him and I feel fortunate to be able to call him a friend.

Blacky, as my sixth grade teacher used to say, "next time be sure your brain is in gear before putting your mouth in motion"

Enough Said

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossi View Post
    Looking at the photos of the 810 and ULF models, I can't make out how the cameras are focussed. Are the standards just slid forward and back, or am I missing something?
    John,

The cameras are "rough focused" by sliding the rails. The fine focus is accomplished via a "worm drive" ie a screw located at the back of the camera. I own one of Richard's 7x17 cameras.

Most ULF cameras are focused this way because most folk's arms aren't long enough.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Dalton View Post
    Do I hear echoes of the Ron Wisner Business plan?

B. Dalton
    Never have a I read or heard anything but good things about Richard Ritter. Of all the cameras he has repaired (apparently including lots of Wisner cameras that Wisner himself would not repair), I have never seen a complaint on this forum.

Certainly, if I needed a repair to a camera or a custom part built for my camera, Richard would be one of, if not the only, sources I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by keeds View Post
    The 8x10 really does sound sweet. It's a 7x17 that I'm hankering for though. Just need to find the right time to "discuss" it with the wife...
    Ditto. Or 8x20. Eddie, I know where you're coming from - I've had an ass load of frustrating experiences with large format businesses. There's two people that I feel I can reliably count on, and Richard is one of them. Remember how nice that bail back was on the 11x14? That was his. He also sealed the interior pieces of wood that made up the extension. You should do as you please, of course, particularly when it comes to large purchases. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

--A

PS: Jim @ Midwest is the second person, in case anyone wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by keeds View Post
    The 8x10 really does sound sweet. It's a 7x17 that I'm hankering for though. Just need to find the right time to "discuss" it with the wife...
    My understanding is that the best time for such discussions is right after you hand them the keys to their new Mercedes.