Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Well, the prototype was in pieces, and many of them weren't anodized and pretty, so it was a good thing I forgot my digicam Wednesday. Wouldn't have been very photogenic anyway, compared to the finished product.

I did hoist the 8x10 under construction. Ohhh, baby! There was virtually nothing to it!

My pants pocket was lighter one deposit check by the time I left. Richard bought breakfast at the Dam Diner (near the Townshend dam...get it?).

Why would I want to wait six months for a brand C to ship from the SIlk Road? Better camera, American-made, innovative design, supremely flexible, convertible in the field, deserving craftsman, competitive price, easy service from the best on the planet.

And Richard tells me he found a box of old Zone VI ground glass frames (leave it to Richard to have a box of such tucked away where he didn't remember it!). With minor mods, he can use them, saving a lot of time and labor on one of the harder pieces to make (it's that pesky T-dimension that keeps the image in focus on both the film and GG). Smells like MOMENTUM!

Get off the fence! Place a deposit by the 17th and it's cheaper for all! Don't act like members of that other forum, who only moan and do nothing! You savings could buy a lot of film! Or holders! Or even a lens, maybe!

You could even spend your savings on a Fine Focus Workshop. Hmm, a workshop only for Ritter camera owners... That would be a hoot!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post

Why would I want to wait six months for a brand C to ship from the SIlk Road? Better camera, American-made, innovative design, supremely flexible, convertible in the field, deserving craftsman, competitive price, easy service from the best on the planet.

i am interested. i would like to get one. BUT i find it a bit trouble some that i get almost no responses from Mr Ritter. i have sent many e mails inquiring about costs, build info, etc. i finally had to call on the phone. after that i did receive an e mail answering most of my questions!

i understand he may be understaffed. if that is the case an employee is in order. it would be a tremendous benefit to his business to have awesome photos of these works of art as well as some customer service! i understand all the "buy in america" but at what price?

my experience from the silk road as comparison went like this. i emailed the gent regarding the 8x10 camera when i left work. i arrived at home 40min later with an e mail awaiting with all my questions answered! ahhh! customer service.

again, i am interested in a camera from mr ritter it is not an easy decision.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Guess it is just the luck of the draw, but when I inquired about a Ritter camera, Richard responded within a day. Not a comment on your experience eddie, but did want to share a different result.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Eddie
    I have no e mails from you and the phone message one was so gabble I could not get the phone number.

As to the price is $2947 less discount to be set on the 17th of Feb.

Employee, very expense, very time consuming to train and watch over. It would be a loss of income and freedom to me.

Richard--I don't get the whole the "mystery discount" process. Why can't you post the final prices based on the number of orders. Something like 1-5: $2947, 6-10: $????, 11-15: $????? That would give people the information to make an informed decision and an incentive to sign up. One person's idea of a discount may be 5% and another person's might be 25%. Don't you already have some numbers in your head? If so, why not share them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Eddie
    I have no e mails from you and the phone message one was so gabble I could not get the phone number.

As to the price is $2947 less discount to be set on the 17th of Feb.

Employee, very expense, very time consuming to train and watch over. It would be a loss of income and freedom to me.

well thanks for the response.

i am sorry the emails did not reach you. i copied and pasted it directly from your web site.

i am sorry that the answering machine records "gabble".

faulty e mail and answering machine....?!?!!?

enjoy your freedom.

thanks, you have helped me finalize my decision.

good luck with your sales.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Where else can you find an 8x10 camera with 32 inches of bellows draw that weight 7.5 lbs? I know there are some light weight 8x10 cameras out there, but I'm not aware of one with 32+ inches of bellows.

eddie,

You should think twice. Ricahrd's low in rural Vermont is what helps keep his prices where they are. One of the problems of rural America is that we are not always as "connected" as we might like to be. I have one thin telephone/utility pole that connects me to the outside world, if it gets knocked over I am in big trouble .... however the tradeoffs make it worth taking the chance. Further, his genius and craftsmanship flourish in this environment .... not sure that would be the case elsewhere. Take a hard look at what he is offering v. what else is out there, his camera may not be for you but don't dismiss it out-of-hand just because you had a problem with an electronic communication.

The 8x10 really does sound sweet. It's a 7x17 that I'm hankering for though. Just need to find the right time to "discuss" it with the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by keeds View Post
    The 8x10 really does sound sweet. It's a 7x17 that I'm hankering for though. Just need to find the right time to "discuss" it with the wife...
    When it arrives on your birthday.