Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Here are some images of the camera. I was able to borrow a cheap digital camera to make these images.

Image #1 8 x 10 prototype camera.

Image #2 Detail of sliding lens with positive lock to prevent the sliding lock from moving.

Image #3 Detail of custom made carbon fiber tube.

2024 –T 3 Aluminum -65 Tensile Strength (ksi) ,10 Tensile Modulus E
    Carbon Fiber -200 Tensile Strength (ksi) 20 Tensile Modulus E

Image #3 Camera set up for wide angle lens

Average weight of 4 x5 and 5 x 7 cameras 7 pounds.

This prototype 8 x 10 weights 7 pounds.

Looks like a Very Nice camera Richard, Thank You for the photos.

As I recall from Bruce's other thread on the camera, changing formats (8x10 to say 5x7) is accomplised by changing the back+bellows like the ULF cameras or is there a reducing back that would be available?

Also, to switch from horizontal to vertical - same as the ULF cameras of does the back come of like some of the other LF cameras?

At 7 pounds, it is less than half of my Eastman 7x11 (and I bet this one is more stable) - love my old cameras, but this is really making me think serious abou this.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Thumbs up Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Here are some images of the camera. I was able to borrow a cheap digital camera to make these images.

Image #1 8 x 10 prototype camera.

Image #2 Detail of sliding lens with positive lock to prevent the sliding lock from moving.

Image #3 Detail of custom made carbon fiber tube.

2024 –T 3 Aluminum -65 Tensile Strength (ksi) ,10 Tensile Modulus E
    Carbon Fiber -200 Tensile Strength (ksi) 20 Tensile Modulus E

Image #3 Camera set up for wide angle lens

Average weight of 4 x5 and 5 x 7 cameras 7 pounds.

This prototype 8 x 10 weights 7 pounds.

VERY SICK!!!

Simply delicious, especially the eye candy 7lb weight combined with the versatility. Being weight conscious, especially Americans (), this would make a perfect field cam with a 5X7 and 4X5 back. Excellent travel came with 5X7/4X5 back too.

Cheers and I'll be writing to see what the discounted price will come out to be.

Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Looks like a Very Nice camera Richard, Thank You for the photos.

As I recall from Bruce's other thread on the camera, changing formats (8x10 to say 5x7) is accomplised by changing the back+bellows like the ULF cameras or is there a reducing back that would be available?

Also, to switch from horizontal to vertical - same as the ULF cameras of does the back come of like some of the other LF cameras?

At 7 pounds, it is less than half of my Eastman 7x11 (and I bet this one is more stable) - love my old cameras, but this is really making me think serious abou this.
    Mike,

I hope Richard will chime in on this, but from looking at the photos Richard posted, it looks like the back rotates like it does on other LF cameras. I can see the catches on the top of the back. My 7x17 requires rotating the back and bellows to go from horizontal to vertical, but I understand that Sandy King has his built so that only the back had to be rotated (ie Sandy has 24x24 bellows). I also believe Sandy had Richard make a reducing back for him.

Having said this, I'm pretty sure that Richard would build your camera for you which ever way you like. I already have 4x5 & 5x7 reducing backs for my Zone VI 8x10 and I am going to have Richard build mine so that it will accept my current reducing backs

these cameras are incredibly good looking.

Very excited to see you are producing these Richard. I look forward to the day when I can purchase one of your 12x20s. Its inevitable.

The back rotates to vertical similarly to other LF cameras, unlike (most of) Richard's ULFs. Detach it from the box and rotate it. I don't know what clips he's using to secure it.

I'll replace the back and bellows to change to 5x7 or 4x5, giving the smaller overall package. Lighter, too. Being me, I'll likely choose which format I'm going to use today, change the back, grab the film holder bag, and head out into the world.

If I'm feeling expansive, maybe I'll put a different-sized back in a cooler bag with my lenses and grab a second holder bag.

Richard needs more ULF videos... Maybe I'll hand-deliver them and see the prototype. If it's assembled. As I know Richard, prototypes are usually in pieces so he can tinker with something.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

The back is removable, you unlock the lock knob and then slide the clip back then swings it out of the way to change the back. I would post a picture but the system will not let me do it.

The discount will be set February 17th it will be based on the number of deposit on hand at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post

I'll replace the back and bellows to change to 5x7 or 4x5, giving the smaller overall package. Lighter, too. Being me, I'll likely choose which format I'm going to use today, change the back, grab the film holder bag, and head out into the world.

Richard needs more ULF videos... Maybe I'll hand-deliver them and see the prototype.
    Bruce,

Interesting thought about having 3 sets of bellows with your camera. My thought was to only have 1 set of bellows and multiple reducing backs. Do you really think that the weight of the bellows will be that much less than a reducing back? My other thought was that using a 5x7 back with an 8x10 bellows would help reduce internal flare from the bellows.

Who says great minds think alike???

Did you get over to Richard's? Did he have the prototype put together?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Bruce,

Interesting thought about having 3 sets of bellows with your camera. My thought was to only have 1 set of bellows and multiple reducing backs. Do you really think that the weight of the bellows will be that much less than a reducing back? My other thought was that using a 5x7 back with an 8x10 bellows would help reduce internal flare from the bellows.

Who says great minds think alike???

Did you get over to Richard's? Did he have the prototype put together?
    Remember, I would rarely leave the house with more than one format...except when traveling with you! So different bellows is what I want, rather than a reducing back. I want the 4x5 to be SMALL. And I'll bet I can get both "other" backs in one cooler bag. I've never had a problem with flare, myself. At least that I've noticed.

Great minds sometimes think alike. But I never even thought of flare.

Wednesday -to deliver some copies of the ULF video and go to the Dam Diner for breakfast. I'll take my pocket digicam.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Placed my order today. Now if enough of the rest of you order a camera, the price of mine will go down. How's that for Economic Stimulus :-)

Just remember, the discount is set on February 17th, so get those orders and deposits to Richard ASAP....