Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter 8x10

Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Sorry, Mike, I won't read it. Nope. Not after picking the camera up with two fingers. No indeed. You can't make me read your impressions.

Grinning. OK, I'll read what you have to say. That can't hurt, can it?
    Come on Wayne, you know you want one. Seriously, it is hard to complain about the camera.

It's apparent that it was designed by a photographer. Form and function in a nice light weight package. If ever get tempted to go ULF, it will be the camera I will look at first (and last).
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Cool I know. I know

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castles View Post
    Come on Wayne, you know you want one. Seriously, it is hard to complain about the camera.

It's apparent that it was designed by a photographer. Form and function in a nice light weight package. If ever get tempted to go ULF, it will be the camera I will look at first (and last).
    I know. I know that I know. The problem becomes: How many 35mm cameras and lenses am I willing to part with to fund such a venture.

In the meantime, I am going to explore enlarged 4x5 negative alternative process contact printing. Or is that tantamount to tilting at windmills?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

That sounds like what I'm up to. Digital enlarged negatives (4x5 or pinhole 8x10) printed on plastic and contact printed onto home made papers, tinted, toned etc.
    My darkroom in under construction, 9 foot square. I have a 20x24 contact printing frame and will have to wait to see if I can actually use it.
    Yea, I want a large as possible camera, too.

i would love to hear how people are zeroing the back and front standards to be parallel with one another. i seem to always have trouble with this as there is no detents except the one dot for the front standard.

thanks in advanced.

Cool Re: Richard Ritter 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by nelson_chan View Post
    i would love to hear how people are zeroing the back and front standards to be parallel with one another. i seem to always have trouble with this as there is no detents except the one dot for the front standard.

thanks in advanced.
    Same here with my Vermont made Zone VI. Enquiring minds want to know.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by nelson_chan View Post

thanks in advanced.
    Good, accurate levels in both directions and on both standards...Evan Clarke

Start with the Tripod level then.....

What Evan said

I carry a level in my camera bag to use on the front standard.

I carried a customized little hand level in my case for a long time, but felt vulnerable when I couldn't find it occasionally. After browsing in hardware stores for a while I found a small, cylindrical bubble level that I installed on top of the rear standard of my field camera, with reservations, as I was adding 3 small screw holes (!). It proved to be useful as I could actually level the rear standard in both directions while under the dark cloth. It was a little round thing about 1 1/2" in diameter. I really didn't like doing that to my camera but it works.

JY

Anyone carry a couple pieces of wood 1/4 X 1/4 inch in cross section cut to exactly the same length (say to +/- .001 inch accuracy)? Mine are 4 inches long and used to set the front and rear standards parallel in swing and tilt when I need that kind of accuracy. I use oak wood but metal will also do. They are used sort of like gauge blocks; if you get the picture.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Anyone carry a couple pieces of wood 1/4 X 1/4 inch in cross section cut to exactly the same length (say to +/- .001 inch accuracy)? Mine are 4 inches long and used to set the front and rear standards parallel in swing and tilt when I need that kind of accuracy. I use oak wood but metal will also do. They are used sort of like gauge blocks; if you get the picture.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Nate,

I do the same thing, but use two 3" Aluminium tubes instead of your oak ones.

Mind you, blocks might be a whole lot less fiddly than the tube as you should be able to rest them on the bed so that you have 2 hands free to adjust the standard(s)...