Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Picture Frames Infected With Virus

Digital Picture Frames Infected With Virus

I really shouldn't laugh but it's hard not to. Check out http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/01/digital-picture.html. Seems that some digital picture frames (frames that allow a digital photograph to be viewed without a computer and without having to bother printing it) are infected with a virus. Maybe Kodak is smarter than we think. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Digital Picture Frames Infected With Virus

I fail to see any humor in it. Or a Kodak connection, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Maybe Kodak is smarter than we think. : - )
    Brian,

How does Kodak fit into this?

Don Bryant

Sorry guys, I thought that by inserting the smiley symbol it was at least obvious that humor was intended even if it was too subtle. If you don't get the humorous connection between Kodak, a film based company fallen on hard times because of digital, and a virus cropping up in a digital picture frame, then I can't explain it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I don't know, call me humorless if you will, but I still don't see anything funny in a computer virus, even if it doesn't affect me directly. Kodak happens to be one of the largest manufacturers of digital imaging chips in the world - there surely must be some other reason behind their falling on hard times?

Don't worry Brian, you are not the lone voice of... whatever goofy arrangement of perceptions... lead you to post that. Someday they'll discover they also cause optical migraines.
    I got it.
    Tyler

yeah, that is funny. jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    I don't know, call me humorless if you will, but I still don't see anything funny in a computer virus, even if it doesn't affect me directly. Kodak happens to be one of the largest manufacturers of digital imaging chips in the world - there surely must be some other reason behind their falling on hard times?
    I think you'd find it funnier if you, like me, had spent so much time over the last decade+ fighting the silly things and silly management that built roadblocks to good security and safe computing practices only to call you late on a Friday night and want you to come in and work on eradicating a virus they got because they wouldn't listen to you in the first place.

What I see here is how amazingly cleaver the virus writers are and how determined some corporations are to shoot themselves in the foot. So I'm laughing. Maybe I shouldn't be. But I am.

Bruce Watson

Abuser of God's Sunlight

well, i think it's hilarious.

in practice it probably wasn't funny; people bought stuff that didn't work and had to return it.

but in concept it's a briliant piece of sci fi dystopia come to life.

headline: "Family's house robbed by rogue digital wedding album."

this stuff practically writes itself.

Bruce,

But I have wasted too great a chunk of my lifetime in the exact manner you describe to still find it funny. And I've seen too many people lose their valuable work, sometimes even to devastating consequences, to the scourge.

I can laugh at them no more than I could laugh at someone seriously hurt in a car accident caused by the malfunction of a (cheap) car they just bought.

As for Kodak, yes, they have that tendency to shoot themselves in the foot with a 12-gauge, both barrels, don't they? But I don't find that funny either because it won't be the fatcat decision makers at the top who will lose their careers as a result, but the poor joes at the middle and bottom of the food chain who are being laid off by the thousands.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being over-empathic, but we could use a bit more of it on this board lately...