Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cardboard Box Arrived from China! Chamonix 8x10!

Re: A Cardboard Box Arrived from China! Chamonix 8x10!

Extreme large format envy! It looks like a beautiful machine and maybe I'll get an 8x10 one day. Please post more pics when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Extreme large format envy!
    You need to say to yourself "its just a box that holds film, its just a box that holds film, its just a box that holds film"

But its really really really nice looking box that holds film!!!
    I must..have....a.....box......like........that............

Quick honey, how much we have in our 401K. The kids are going to a state college dang it. Maybe even a 2 year

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    You need to say to yourself "its just a box that holds film, its just a box that holds film, its just a box that holds film"
    ..and a lens and film holders and so forth.

However, this set up is very light, packs nicely in the bag. I haven't worked out where I'll carry the lenses. Each thing alone seems prertty reasonable. The challenge it seems to is avoid schlepping more and more and more.

Asher

Asher more photos please....

Confidently Agnostic!

What kind of lens board does it take?

Open the sucker up and photograph all its private parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    I was disappointed that a Shen Hao (real or clone) used by Marko was not made accurately enough to take Garflok attachements. Marko's camera was beautiful and for 4x5 film, I'm sure it's perfect. However, it was not a precision camera.
    I was disappointed with that failure too. Enough so that I sold the camera shortly after that outing. One of the reasons why I bought it and not the Tachihara was precisely the international back and if it doesn't do what it was made for, than it becomes a liability.

But, and this may be crucial - that camera was not an original Shen-Hao, but a knock off under the name of Sunfoto. Although the cameras appear identical, in everything except in a few minor, purely cosmetic details, there is a real possibility that the original might have better tolerances, or even that mine had that one little fault. I simply don't know and I wasn't interested to try again.

BTW, the fog image I posted in another thread was made using that camera with a 150mm Sironar-N on it.

I recall one other individual early on the Shen Hao Users Group (prior to Yahoo move) that got a Sunfoto knock-off of the HZX45A-II. Seems that there were issues of build quality on that one too. I guess the surprising thing is why someone would buy a knock-off of what is already a very low priced 4x5. Just for the record, I have a Polaroid 405, Polaroid 550, Linhof Super Rollex, Kodak Readyload, and Fuji Quickload holders to go with my Shen-Hao, and they all fit precisely . . . now if I could only get away from that compelling need to have all those in my gear bag at the same time.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    I guess the surprising thing is why someone would buy a knock-off
    The surprising thing is anybody would blame the company for the knockoff I guess we should wander around the flea market making a list of the knockoffs and not buying any of those products either?

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Asher more photos please....
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    What kind of lens board does it take?

Open the sucker up and photograph all its private parts.
    Walter, it takes Sinar boards and so far one I bought on eBay, fits fine, but we'll come to that later. Hugo is getting me Chamonix boards!

Now Walter, the private parts are now no longer so. I'll show what I think is significant at each stage. I've taken the risk of setting up the camera on a Manfrotto Carbon fiber tripod, after checking with the muses that it would be safe inside! So let's look at the mechanisms for lengthening the bellows.

First, not marked, theres' a series of 5 holes into which the front standard can fit and be secured with the black knob in at the lower open base of the front standard.

Next, at the rear of the camera there are two independant ways of adding length. The rear walnut sliders take each side of the rear bellow forward or back. A little assynetry allows about a 15 degree lateral reaer swing too.

The fine worm drive place center below the rear standard, allows for both major forward movement of the machined metal base holding the front standard as well as providing convenient and subtle focus adjustments too. that I still have to test with a lens!

I hope this helps.

Asher

Next I wil deal with how true the Camera is!

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

I'll be reviewing the camera as I get set it up, add my lenses, take Polaroids, film and get into printing. I'll also try out a stitching back. It's ambitious for me since I have to rebuild my darkroom from scratch. For now: Polaroid, film with contact prints and also scanning and printing either chemistry or inkjet. For sure I have a lot of mistakes to make!

Asher
    Asher, what is the weight and cost of the 8X10 model?