Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from London, UK

Re: Hi from London, UK

Hah, not THAT dangerous here!

I am certain my trying to make it through that roundabout would be lethal to me or someone else. You must admit that's an impressively confusing bit of traffic engineering you've got there.

Then again, I find UK traffic rules go so far against my intuitions that every time I go there it takes two weeks of nearly getting killed as a pedestrian before I can cross the street without feeling the need to leave a suicide note first, and another two weeks after my return to the US to unlearn it. When I lived in Cambridge for half a year, they loaned me a bike, but I'd end up riding a block and then just walking it the rest of the way to the lab and back every day.

The UK traffic works... somehow

The magic roundabout isn't so bad. You just GO. It's used as the test for learner drivers. You have either Cotswold roundabout (equally difficult) or the magic roundabout - if you manage it first time, you don't fail your test immediately. It's just a group of roundabouts, so you always look right and ignore anything to your left.

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
    I thought I'd say hi to everyone here, after getting into LF with the purchase of my shiney new Chamonix camera. (Although I did 'dabble' a few years ago, I promise this time to stay the distance!)

Are there any other members from the London area (or anyone planning a trip)? I'd love to meet up with some fellow LF photographers for a shoot (or even just a drink!).

Take Care,

Melanie
    I'm in London. I do know one other LF photographer here (sure there must be some more). Happy to meet up sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Hah, not THAT dangerous here!

Ash,
    Keep in mind that americans drive on the other side of the road. An american let loose in a motor vehicle in the UK is, I've been told, like a brit driving off the ferry in Calais As a pedestrian in the UK I'd habitually look away from on coming traffic before crossing the street
    It takes some getting used to, but first you have to live long enough to get used to it
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl View Post
    Oooh, I get over to Swindon fairly regularly with work, but never look round - is it very photogenic???
    Not really, but south of Swindon is Avebury (pic), Silbury Hill, West Kennett and environs and the chalk downland in general if you are interested in landscape and/or neolithic monuments. A few miles east is the Uffington White Horse and The Manger etc.

Have fun, Bob.

I'll be in London for a couple of weeks in June (still a while yet ), and would be happy to get together with anyone that wants to do some photography.

David

Hi Melanie. There is a thriving LF group in the UK with regular get-togethers and workshops. Take a look at www.lf-photo.org.uk. Regards Paul

A LFPF meet-up would be cool, I forget to ever check LF-P !!

Avebury is a nice location, it's over-photographed though, having driven past the sites twice a day, every day for 6 years, I've only returned there once in the past 4.

Hi Melanie, greetings from the depths of Eryri, that`s Snowdonia to the rest of you. Drop me a line if ever you`re up this way, we are particularly well blessed for subjects in this neck of the woods......................mark