Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 305 mm portrait lens. Help Please!!!

Kodak 305 mm portrait lens. Help Please!!!

Hello All.
    I need to purchase a Kodak 305mm Portrait lens or alike to shoot some Head & Shoulders portraits. I decided meanwhile to start a little project by mounting my old RB 150 soft focus onto my Sinar F2 w/ the auto shutter. Parts from a broken RZ became usefull and the the mamiya lens is used as a barrel lens.
    Attached are 4 images shot recently and I would like to ask anyone who own the Kodak lens if the (softness) of these images can be compared to theirs. Like many others I cant afford the PS 945. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    Pierre

Re: Kodak 305 mm portrait lens. Help Please!!!

Your images look good for a "soft focus" lens, however a 150mm lens is too wide-angle for pleasing Head & Shoulders portraits on a 4x5. You will get wide-angle perspective distortion of the face if you move close enough to fill the frame with a head and shoulders. You really need (if you have the bellows length to focus) a 300mm lens to get pleasing facial perspective when shooting head and shoulders on 4x5. With the Sinar, you could use a center standard, an extension rail and 2 4x5 bellows and have plenty of room to focus a 300mm for head and shoulders.
    At the very minimum a 250mm might work, perspective wise.

Thank you Gene
    I should add that I used a 2x tele converter with the 150.
    Pierre

I have the longer Kodak Portrait lens. Wide open, I'd have to say it is much softer than the photographs you're showing.

I agree with pancho, wide open much softer. the kodak is also going to give very "pearly" highlights, espically if back lit.

Pierre,

It took me a while to find my 305mm f4.5 Kodak Soft Focus lens in No.5 Ilex, but I did on Ebay.

It ain't leaving my possesion without a fight. Just wish I could use the damn thing, my darkroom is out of commission grrrrrr ....

Lenses come and lenses go, but they willl have to pry my cold dead fingers off my 305 kodak portrait.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

All portrait lenses have their own personalities and there are quite a few differing opinions on them. I'll offer that the 300mm Imagon is a nice alterantive to the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens. It can be used with the standard f/stops, just as the Kodak lens, or with the h/stops. I'd recommend the earlier f/5.8 over the later f/6.3 version, in the compound shutter. The Imagon is a bit more easily found than the Kodak lens, and both are very nice.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I just posted a thread here.

Not a cheap solution for you but you would end up with a lovely triple convertible Protar VII plus the soft focus mod if you bought this from me.

The Kodak 305 is a lovely lens and perhaps the easiest to learn of all of the soft focus lenses. Maybe the Verito would be next on my list. The 'pearly highlight' of the Kodak is truly marvelous.

I tested the PS945- straight from the factory in Leicester, making side-by-side shots against the Kodak and a Struss, both studio portraits (lit by strobe) and in the landscape. The PS945 was IMHO underwhelming.

Your mileage may vary but some of the old classics are hard to beat for performance or price. Another good lens is the late model Hyperion 12" which like the Kodak comes mounted in a shutter.

Russ