Thread: Bag bellows or recessed board?

Bag bellows or recessed board?

Hi Folks.

I have a Calumet 45NX. My basic lens is a 150mm Nikkor f5.6.

I shoot old urban neighborhoods. I shoot mostly 2 and 3 story buildings on narro w streets. Occasionaly I shoot taller buildings.

I have recently had to good fortune to purchase a 90mm Super Angulon MC f8.0 at a reasonable price.

I know I will need either a bag bellows or a recessed lens board. My question is which one should I buy first? If possible, I would rather not buy both. In your experience, which one is better? Any responses appreciated. Thanks.

while recessed lens boards are a bit of a pain since they make the shutter and aperture settings somewhat less accessible, they are still easier and more practical to use than bag bellows in most situations. it is simply easier to change only your lens/lensboard than to change both the lens/lensboard and your bellows.

the standard calumet bellows will not allow much if any movement with a 90. you will probably need to use front rise to shoot buldings. i'm pretty sure you won't need a recessed board until you use a 75 or shorter (i never have). get the bag.

Get the bag bellows. A recessed panel can restrict front rise even more with the standard bellows, because the recessed part will sometimes dig into the bellows folds.

I hardly ever take the bag bellows off my Calumet. With a 9" rail it is useable with lenses up to 210mm so could be your standard bellows with your 150 also. Jim

Thanks for your responses guys. I will get a bag bellows first. I can't wait to try out this sucker.