Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 750mm Apo-Germinar

Re: 750mm Apo-Germinar

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    Asher,

no problem to focus that lens .. great performer at longer distances due to coverage..other than tele designs.. and resolution.. although designed for 1:1 .. due to symmetrical design vg from 1:1 to infinity.. this lens and siimilar ones will give you more resolution than you may be able to handle or you may actually need on the larger formats..working with these long ones is fun.. may need an adequate scanner to exploit and manage amount of information of even standard LF formats.
    Joerg,

Thanks for your helpful response! Have a Topaz II and love wall to make size prints viewable for detail at 25 cm.

Why would you want to focus at 4 feet ? ..extension is quite a bit .. a shorter focal length will cover and be easier to work with ..
    The distance is what I use for portraits in my studio. That's where I want to use the 750mm for ULF. I have to translate from 35 mm cameras and 6x6., my areas of comfort. (8x10 landscapes and still life with the 150 mm SSXL and portraits with the PS 945 on 8x10 is my limited LF experience to date.) So this 750mm lens would be a very wide angle on a direct to ULF wall print. I'll try first with a 600 mm lens. The extensions I'll just have to buy and these are available for my camera.

I also have a 450 Apo Germinar, but the 750 mm is interesting to me because it has been used very successfully by another photographer.

Asher

Asher,

keep up your enthusiasm !! .. the Topaz II is a beautiful scanner but it has 8000 pixels across the moving bed .. that is 4000 dpi max (in an ideal world 4000 linepairs) for the short side of your negative .. for your wall sized prints to be looked at from 25 cm to discover even more details .. there may be just a linepair per mm .. for me at my age that is more than enough but perhaps not for you ...

joerg

Asher,

keep up your enthusiasm !! .. the Topaz II is a beautiful scanner but it has 8000 pixels across the moving bed .. that is 4000 dpi max (in an ideal world 4000 linepairs) for the short side of your negative .. for your wall sized prints to be looked at from 25 cm to discover even more details .. there may be just a linepair per mm .. for me at my age that is more than enough but perhaps not for you ...

joerg
    Hi Joerg,

I appreciate the encouragement! There's a lot work out. For the 750 mm lens, I plan to hang Ilfochrome paper on the wall of a camera obscura and process them n one step. So no scanning. For smaller nagatives, the Topaz will be fine and the best will be drum scanned.

Asher