Page 65 of 756 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165565 ... LastLast

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

William, thanks.

To tell the truth, I don't know for sure. The rock formation is most likely natural (it is even a protected site), but the hole seems to be dug by man. As to why, I don't have any idea. It can not serve as a storage, it can not serve as a shelter against weather (it will even catch some water because the hole is in a kind of pit or hollow), it can not serve as water reservoir - too shallow and open on one side. And it is not a partly finished cave or hiding, abandoned prior to finishing. I have not found any explanation for the purpose anywhere.

But it provided for a nice subject. I've already taken some photos there in the past, and most likely will return there yet.

Here it is in the past spring. (I have already presented it here somewhere, but can not find the exact post, so here it is again...)

Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Now that I look at the images in sequence I noticed something someone would surely ask, so I'll answer it right away.

If you look closely, on the spring image, there seem to be no trees to the right of the rock formation, yet they are just 6 months later there. I did not modify any of the pictures in any way. I choose my compositions so that I don't have to modify my pictures afterwards. I've once or twice did some electric-pole removal, but I don't like that, and I'm not inwardly happy with that. My attitude at the moment is that I'm betraying myself with this modifications.

The spring image is shot from a position well bellow the rock formation (more than 10meters vertically), the close-up is from the level of entrance to the hole (there is a ridge right in front of it) and there was another ridge behind me...
    Last edited by Jiri Vasina; 1-Oct-2008 at 08:10. Reason: left/right botchup
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    Jim K, the texture in the rocks and trees is wonderful...
    Dear Jiri,

Merci, young man...

Your recent image does have a unique shape, and I bet that many folks will continue to be curious about the shape, and cause of the formation. Nicely done...

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by z_photo View Post
    reelfoot lake? shots of cypress bring back a memory of growing up near the swamps of south louisiana. that memory is... snakes. i hope to visit one of those swamps again soon
    About a year ago I was photographing some cypress roots in Winter Park Florida - suburban Orlando. Anyway as emerged from the darkcloth, I stood forward around the front of the camera to close the shutter after composing, and stood on a large cottonmouth! I'm pretty certain I got the bigger fright... although it's first reaction was to dive for the water, which was just as well as I was wearing sandals, when boots would have been far more sensible... Bizarrely, the snake didn't disappear - it headed under a partially submerged bush about 6 feet offshore and turned around to observe. After a little standoff, it swam back and slithered out in front of my tripod again (I had retreated a few feet back to a convenient park bench). Of course, I couldn't keep my 3 and 6 year olds away from the excitement at the water's edge after that and eventually had to leave.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    About a year ago I was photographing some cypress roots in Winter Park Florida - suburban Orlando. Anyway as emerged from the darkcloth, I stood forward around the front of the camera to close the shutter after composing, and stood on a large cottonmouth! I'm pretty certain I got the bigger fright... although it's first reaction was to dive for the water, which was just as well as I was wearing sandals, when boots would have been far more sensible... Bizarrely, the snake didn't disappear - it headed under a partially submerged bush about 6 feet offshore and turned around to observe. After a little standoff, it swam back and slithered out in front of my tripod again (I had retreated a few feet back to a convenient park bench). Of course, I couldn't keep my 3 and 6 year olds away from the excitement at the water's edge after that and eventually had to leave.
    Which brings me to my story about this homeless dude on 81st. street in south Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by stefan d View Post
    Stefan,

Interesting picture and DOF effect. Which lens did you use?

Stefan,
    that is a beautiful image.
    Truly inspiring.
    Thank you

This is from Ravenna, my home town,

Very nice image.
    Ravenna is a lovely town!!

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    This is from Ravenna, my home town,