Page 52 of 754 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Dear Greg,

I use the Zone system more often than not, and I do use the BTZ process too, but I tend to use the Zone System more, since I am just a long time user of this method, and I am comfortable with my exposure results. Periodically though, I do underestimate my exposures while capturing an image this late in the evening...

I like the soft evening light, and because of that soft light love affair my exposures can creep past five minutes or so very quickly, since the diffused light from the Northern Alberta sky allows me to work close to 10:00pm, during the peak summer months. Matter of fact, when I am cruising and hiking in Jasper National Park during the midsummer, the Northern Light sky allows me to work until 1:00 am in the morning. I don't usually stay out in the bush that late at night, since I tend to have too many bear encounters.

The greatest benefit that late evening exposures offer me happens to be the wondrous dead calm after the sun sets beyond the horizon...

For the moment, I know my film's development times very well, my film's reciprocity issues, and my light meter's quasi-normal some day I will toss this damn thing off the cliff characteristics, within a very dimly lighted scene. I tend to expose the shadows for Zone IV to capture the detail, control my skewed highlights through the established development process, and selectively print down the Zone IV areas to bring Zone III into a proper black. I would rather have sufficient detail in Zone III by printing down a Zone IV, than not. I let the unimportant lower Zone black areas drift off into never, never land, where the Black Bears usually sit, and wait for me to pass by.

Highlights that run away on you during the printing process can be controlled effectively with a well mannered old school darkroom flashing technique.

I must thank you for your comments; incidentally, too...

jim k

Your welcome Jim. I'm an old time Zone System guy. Being a printer by trade I just appreciate the difficulty in capturing very dark subject matter without losing the the detail. I never got into the BTZ process myself since I have been too occupied with everything else that keeps me busy. I like early morning and early evening when the winds calm down and you get directional light. So much to do... so little time.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Greg,

I use the Zone system more often than not, and I do use the BTZ process too, but I tend to use the Zone System more, since I am just a long time user of this method, and I am comfortable with my exposure results. Periodically though, I do underestimate my exposures while capturing an image this late in the evening...

I like the soft evening light, and because of that soft light love affair my exposures can creep past five minutes or so very quickly, since the diffused light from the Northern Alberta sky allows me to work close to 10:00pm, during the peak summer months. Matter of fact, when I am cruising and hiking in Jasper National Park during the midsummer, the Northern Light sky allows me to work until 1:00 am in the morning. I don't usually stay out in the bush that late at night, since I tend to have too many bear encounters.

The greatest benefit that late evening exposures offer me happens to be the wondrous dead calm after the sun sets beyond the horizon...

For the moment, I know my film's development times very well, my film's reciprocity issues, and my light meter's quasi-normal some day I will toss this damn thing off the cliff characteristics, within a very dimly lighted scene. I tend to expose the shadows for Zone IV to capture the detail, control my skewed highlights through the established development process, and selectively print down the Zone IV areas to bring Zone III into a proper black. I would rather have sufficient detail in Zone III by printing down a Zone IV, than not. I let the unimportant lower Zone black areas drift off into never, never land, where the Black Bears usually sit, and wait for me to pass by.

Highlights that run away on you during the printing process can be controlled effectively with a well mannered old school darkroom flashing technique.

I must thank you for your comments; incidentally, too...

jim k
    Jim, I love this image. It is great.

Just curious if you filter your tree images to get the separation you get? I know in the soft light the range can be rather narrow ( 3 stops?). Do you then adjust in development? Thanks.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thank you kind sir...

I do not own any filters except one, which happens to be a polarizer, and it rarely sees daylight...

You are correct about the total zones, where there were only three, ranging from a placed middle Zone IV to a high Zone VI, and where I enhanced the tonal range slightly with N+1 development, nudging Zone IV just barely above the midpoint, and bumping Zone VI into Zone VII. Long standing darkroom skills acquired through a few excellent workshops by Barnbaum, Dusard, et al several years ago, allow me to take care of the image's balance, especially when I print the shadows down.

Their excellent darkroom techniques allow me the opportunity to produce shadows that are deep and rich, with great subtle information, while controlling the image's highlights properly.

jim k

Dusk, along the edge of Herbert Lake, British Columbia, Canada...

The Trout were just jumping.

jim k

Another good one, Jim.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I know this is a little late, but that's a really nice image for your very first! (Well, it's nice even if it was your most recent!) Can't wait to see some more of your work.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    This is my first LF negative.

Please excuse this repost, since it is just a bit larger, compared to the previous post...

jim k

Dusk, Sibbald Creek, Alberta, Canada.

Jim,

I like this one a lot, great image!

-Brian

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Jim, i love what the soft light does to the trees up there. Very nice image.
    I forgot about this one. I guess it could be considered a tree image. Yosemite in February of this year. The intersecting line drew me into this image. 8x10 Efke PL-25 printed on Azo.

Jim