Page 461 of 756 FirstFirst ... 361411451459460461462463471511561 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 7555

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

img955 by philbrookjason, on Flickr

Birch Point Beach state park, Owls Head Maine. April 2015. 4x5 speed graphic with gundlach hyperion soft focus lens, fp4+ film in pyrocat hd

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post

img955 by philbrookjason, on Flickr

Birch Point Beach state park, Owls Head Maine. April 2015. 4x5 speed graphic with gundlach hyperion soft focus lens, fp4+ film in pyrocat hd
    My first reaction was "oh man I like that". The second, without reading the caption was "that looks like Maine". I stayed not too far from Owls Head last July. Awesome country.

The red benches really stood out during the sunset light and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out so I shoot the same image on Velvia 100 and Ektar 100. This is the Velvia version and I will post the Ektar version after processing it soon.

I would love your feedback on this because I saw the scene and it looked great on the ground glass. However, I have mixed feelings about the final image.

Deardorff V8 with 4x5 back
    Velvia 100

Pali

I love the way the depth of field is rendered.
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post

The red benches really stood out during the sunset light and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out so I shoot the same image on Velvia 100 and Ektar 100. This is the Velvia version and I will post the Ektar version after processing it soon.

I would love your feedback on this because I saw the scene and it looked great on the ground glass. However, I have mixed feelings about the final image.

Velvia 100

Pali
    Pali,

I think the concept was good, but the composition isn't tight enough. The fourth bench all the way to the right throws the balance of the shot off.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

A couple of Black Oaks from a recent trip to Yosemite. Carbon transfer prints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black oak 2 28 15 resized.jpg   soft focus black oak.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post

Velvia 100

Pali
    Hi Pali,

I think its a nice image. When I first saw it,I started thinking, I wonder what this would look like in black and white...mainly because of the strong compositional elements and the high contrast. Color doesn't define the scene IMO. I think the "thing" that may seem off is the midground if we were to call this a landscape. The wall of trees seems obstructive to the background which includes a bench and a hill line. Actually if the wall of trees were eliminated, I think this would make a nice iconic image following a rule of thirds. The foreground elements are strong and well placed. The front row of benches is in focus(I assume with a swing). The treeline and bench in the midleft are OOF which is neither a strength or a weakness, but it makes the viewer ask why the choice was made.

Pali, I have no intention in coming off as over-critical, so I hope you don't take it that way. Thanks for keeping your photo open to discussion, I would hope to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    A couple of Black Oaks from a recent trip to Yosemite. Carbon transfer prints.
    I like that softer one. Makes some simpler sense/presentation of the complexity of the light and woods. That's a skill the old pictorialists like Day / Clarence H White were very good at, but it sort of got lost for a while.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I like that softer one. Makes some simpler sense/presentation of the complexity of the light and woods. That's a skill the old pictorialists like Day / Clarence H White were very good at, but it sort of got lost for a while.
    Jp, thanks. I used the same lens as I recall. The wonderful Kodak 305 Portrait lens. Soft one around F-6 and the sharp one at F-45.I am partial to the soft one as well. There is a certain drawing effect with this image and it almost looks to me like it is a miniature. Both Carbon prints are quite nice and work well especially with the soft focus images. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I really like this, Corran. A different look than usual for you. Although not a simple scene, it has a strong subject, and the soft lighting works well with it.
    Bryan

I really prefer this one, the cropped version, great work

regards
    andrew