Page 422 of 756 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432472522 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 7555

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    JeRuFo. this is a very pleasant shot! The reflections are perfect as is the overall tone variance. I would have never notice the tree on the right had it not been mentioned. The only suggestion I would make is to backup a few feet, just enough to get more of the tree on the right in the shot and get the tree on the left more off the edge. But I was not there so it really does not matter. It is a wonderful shot.

P.S. The more I see of Fomapan the more I want to try it.

You should try Fomapan 100, Marty. Just be aware of the huge reciprocity failure of this film. When you have a 1m reading, you must expose for 16 minutes!!!!!

Again beautiful image and great discussion . This is starting to remind me of the magic bullet article on the main page as I am tempted to get formapan, However I would still like to master the 40 sheets I have left of tmx before considering moving on. The metering info was helpful as I've usually metered for the highlights with bw film and place them in the appropriate zone. Would tmax 100 allow for the shouldered highlights with a +5 differential or would they be completely blown? My standard Xtol is 1:1, does 1:2 increase sharpness or reduce grain. Does it work any different magic with shadow or highlight detail? These questions are not meant to offend, I'm just truly excited about learning a little more about this dark art.

Thank you, Nană.
    Yes, you often have long exposures wit foma 100 because of the reciprocity failure, it starts from around 1s and builds up to 4 stops pretty quickly. This was already 25s @f32 even though it was bright enough that I could check sharpness with a loupe @f32 on the ground glass.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

Quote Originally Posted by Deval View Post
    Again beautiful image and great discussion . This is starting to remind me of the magic bullet article on the main page as I am tempted to get formapan, However I would still like to master the 40 sheets I have left of tmx before considering moving on. The metering info was helpful as I've usually metered for the highlights with bw film and place them in the appropriate zone. Would tmax 100 allow for the shouldered highlights with a +5 differential or would they be completely blown? My standard Xtol is 1:1, does 1:2 increase sharpness or reduce grain. Does it work any different magic with shadow or highlight detail? These questions are not meant to offend, I'm just truly excited about learning a little more about this dark art.
    I wouldn't take my word for it, I'm not an experienced darkroom user by any means, I only know what works for me.
    I switched to 1+2 hoping for a little softer contrast, but mostly for practical reasons. I usually develop a whole batch at once and now use XTOL as a kind of one shot/day developer. I mix 1 liter of 1+2 from my mixed stock and do 3 or 4 development cycles and then dispose of it, that way I run a lower risk of depleted developer or old developer.

TMX has the opposite problem of Foma100. TMX has harsh highlights and you don't want to blow them. Foma blocks up in the shadows quickly and you want to make sure you give it enough light. I don't have too much experience with TMX, I have shot it a while but switched to Foma100 on my second box already. I try to be a little more careful and use it in more controlled light, like I shoot Velvia. But that might be just because I don't really know all the little nuances of TMX and am always scared of blown highlights or blocked up shadows. That said, I didn't have any problems with TMX when I shot landscapes with it. It produces beautiful shadows, but can look a little clinical if the light isn't dramatic enough. Foma has a bit more character IMHO.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

I found this lovely Krishna Butter Cup tree at Lalbagh. Heres my first take. I'll make a trip again some day to shoot again.

I can remember when my first wife used to mock me for shooting pictures of trees.
    This picture answers all the questions as to why pictures of trees.
    Well done!
    Please show us more.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSTrees.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	1229108x10 Kodak 64T

2 Bit Hack

Steve, that looks like the pecan groves down here, rutted roads and all! Nice.
    Regards

Marty

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Thanks Jm, I believe those are oak trees growing in very sandy soil.. This is a Savanna in an area known as the sands of Kankakee near the Kankakee river up near Chicago in northern Indiana. This particular spot is in Conrad Savanna nature preserve

Landscape Addict

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Twickel, Fomapan 100 4x5, Nikkor 90/4.5

I spent a lovely foggy morning at a nearby estate last saturday.

While I was shooting a man, who was walking his dog, came standing next to me and said 'Do you see something I don't see?'
    Turns out he thought I was looking for a special bird or something, but I was quite puzzled for a while. When I told him I was shooting the wider view he went on and let his dog of the leash so he could swim for a few minutes, right in front of my camera!
    I'm quite used to people coming up to me when I'm shooting LF, but usually they try to disturb me or the view as little as possible. Never had someone stand right in front of the camera for a few minutes. Luckily it was a very quiet morning and I wasn't in a rush, but with changing light I would have been a little annoyed.

Wow. Despite your challenges this is utterly superb.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography