Ghost Forest #2, Yosemite.

Chamonix 045N-2
    Schneider Symmar-S 210mm
    Portra 160
    November 2012

Your comments/ critiques are welcomed.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Re: post your trees!

Wista 45DX Xenar 210/6.1 HP5+ 510-Pyro Jobo

Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

While photographing the oak the owner came up and told me that the tree had been struggling for a number of years. At one time he was burning some trash near the base and the resurrection ferns on the tree caught fire. The tree had some hollowness in the trunk and the fire spread to the inside. The owner pulled a tank of water to it and pumped 600 gallons of water inside the tree putting the fire out. The tree had also been struck by lightning a couple of times. I shot this photograph of the tree in 2010. I need to go back to see how well it faring.
    Tachihara 4x5
    TMX 100
    Caltar IIn 150mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dees Oak.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunlit Branches McCormicks Creek SP print.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	85043

Sunlit Tree, McCormick's Creek State Park, Indiana

Negative: Fortepan 200 in Pyrocat HD
    Print: Ilford MGIV toned in selenium and thiocarbamide

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

How can you go wrong with trees! So many beautiful images. I love this thread. Here are a couple of carbon prints from my favorite area. My friend Vaughn knows where we are!!!! 8x10's from Jedidiah Smith.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jed-Smith-Grove-2012.-web.jpg   Jed-Smith-October-2012.-web.jpg  

Two more great prints, Jim. Someday, I'll see one of these in person.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Jim, thank you. The prints exhibit all of the wonderful characteristics of a carbon transfer print.I can't wait to print the rest of the images from the trip. I have some 8x20 tissue drying now. I have a couple of 8x20's that I can't wait to print.

Toyo 45A, 300mm Fujinon, Ektachrome film. I'm not sure if this works well, criticism is welcome.

Black Forest, Colorado

A whole bunch of great images! Daniel's 'Sunlit Tree' is wonderfully seen and presented. I love the way fasol's wind-blown grasses move around a stump (or piece of wood). Lots of fine images!

Jim -- very good! A couple weeks ago I printed an 8x10 from our recent time together at Bull Creek Flat/Rockafella Grove. I'll scan it one of these days.

Just poured some carbon tissues Friday night. There is a student that is going thru the process with me, so he made and poured a batch also. In our last printing session, he ended up with a nice print out of a few tries with different negatives (4x5's). So he knows what kind of negative to aim for. Kids these days and their instant access mind-set! I got a call from him yesterday -- he was out somewhere in the woods with his new-to-him 8x10 and some Efke 25 I had given him (film belongs to the university). He gave me his readings and was worried about the resiprocity failure rate of the film. He was working with a minute exposure, so I told him to double that and he's be right. I have over-compensated for res. failure with that film and the highlights turned nasty.

I suppose if I did not have a dumb phone, he could have shown me his set-up, metered thru the phone, and all sorts of interesting stuff. I guess that could be the workshops of the future. People go out to Death Valley, the Redwoods or where ever, following the GPS directions from the "guide/instructor". Once there (with detailed instructions/map on how to find the tripod holes) the students via Skype or something similar, connect with their instructor who is handling students in 5 different time zones and 4 different continents. Sunday morning ramblings!

Vaughn

PS...

David, the 'Black Forest' is well done! My eye does tend to slide off to the right due to the open sky along the right side of the image...and for this reason I thought to myself, this image would make a nice dyptych (sp?) if there was a companion image to the right of this one.