Page 201 of 756 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301701 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 7555

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    Yes, it is. I had never been before and was surprised how much Mt. Wheeler looks like Long's Peak in CO. No-one climbs Wheeler, though, because the rock is rotten.
    Nobody climbs the face, perhaps, but there is a trail up the sloped side. It is arduous, however--just scrambling over piled boulders for the top 700 feet of elevation. When I attempted it (maybe a couple dozen years ago), I gave up on those boulders. There are some lovely bits lower down on that trail, however.

Mt. Wheeler, at 13K+, is the tallest peak in Nevada, and one of the few places in that neck of the woods with a glacial cirque, which sits in the shade under that north-facing cliff.

Rick "who likes but rarely experiences mountain meadows" Denney

Not that I'm a NV expert, but I was told that it's the second highest peak, behind Boundary Peak on the western edge of the state.

On this trip, for the first time in my life, my peak-bagger self took a back seat to my photographer self, and I climbed Bald Mountain to get the best views of Wheeler instead of climbing Wheeler itself and looking down. Got some great negatives from there, too. It's similar terrain to the Wheeler summit hike, but there's no trail leading to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Mt. Wheeler, at 13K+, is the tallest peak in Nevada, and one of the few places in that neck of the woods with a glacial cirque, which sits in the shade under that north-facing cliff.

Rick "who likes but rarely experiences mountain meadows" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    Combining the two outstanding features of the Snake range in NV, the Bristlecone pines and the vertical face of Mt. Wheeler. I set one against the other and waited for the light from the passing clouds to isolate the pine tree.

Great! I like so much.

By

45-57-617

Is there a problem posting images on the site instead of Flickr?

It sure is annoying to have blanks come up because people have a difficulty posting images.

What about banning Flickr links ?

Exclamation Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    I'm all for that.

Flickr has destroyed more good image threads than all other hosting sites combined.

- Leigh

retrogrouchy

It's not flickr's fault. The problem is that people delete stuff from flickr and therefore it doesn't appear here - if they hosted anywhere else and then deleted it, there would be the same problem. IMHO flickr just gets the blame because they return that "image not available" placeholder whereas most other hosts just leave a blank. And there are a hell of a lot of blanks in these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Is there a problem posting images on the site instead of Flickr?

It sure is annoying to have blanks come up because people have a difficulty posting images.

The problems with posting here are:

1. Thumbnails are small and require clicking. Perversely (in my view) this opens in the same window rather than another. Being used to sites that open in a separate window (tab for me in Firefox) I tend to habitually then close them - closing out the forum and having to go back in. Exasperating and avoidable by right click and open in new tab, provided I remember. In any case I prefer a larger image inline with the rest of the message as I think many others do.

2. There are complaints about the compression the forum software apparently does yielding quality losses much greater than an inline hotlink to the same image posted whole elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I'm all for that.

Flickr has destroyed more good image threads than all other hosting sites combined.

- Leigh
    Howzat? Never did anything to my images that I could tell. I could move them to my own web space but I'd rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It's not flickr's fault. The problem is that people delete stuff from flickr and therefore it doesn't appear here - if they hosted anywhere else and then deleted it, there would be the same problem. IMHO flickr just gets the blame because they return that "image not available" placeholder whereas most other hosts just leave a blank. And there are a hell of a lot of blanks in these threads.
    Maybe that's it. I haven't noticed that images hosted at Flickr are any more or less problematic than those elsewhere.

Roger, you can click down the middle mouse scrolling thingy on the link and it will open in a new tab.
    Unless, you don't have one.

Been shooting an 8x10 per day since summer began. Oddly enough, I find myself shooting more and more trees.

Eastman Commercial B 8x10 + Fujinon 210mm f/5.6
    45 sec. @ f/64, Ilford HP5+ in Pyrocat HD