Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite photography website...

Your favorite photography website...

So what's your favorite photography website? I am talking about individual photographers websites. Based on layout, design, content, overall look, etc., if you had a personal web design staff at you disposal, what would you like your web page to look like?

some of my favorites:

http://www.joachimknill.com/

http://www.uelsmann.net/

Re: Your favorite photography website...

My next web site design, ha!

Now I simply need to find the time to do it. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I actually view many, and my listing changes often on which I consider top quality. Currently I have these marked on my list of 55 websites as the ones I consider the best of my list. In no particular order:

Marcus Doyle
    Chris Gordaneer
    Stephen Romer
    William Huber
    Frank Le Petit
    Olaf Veltman
    Steffen Jahn
    West Side Studio
    Andric
    Michael Prince
    Frank Schott
    Adrian Tyler
    William Lamson
    Mats Cordt

Some are Flash based, which I try to avoid, so I don't think I would consider emulating those. My own site went through a hefty range of design choices, and I am quite happy with how it has developed. I did get some feedback from some corporate ADs, and it was the idea of busy people viewing my work that led me to a simple solution. I still need to add more content, and expand the About section.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

This is going to be a great resource. What a great idea. This expands one's vistas. Thanks all!

Asher

Hmm. Gordon, a lot of those sites seem to be commercial. Which is great. I guess you're a commercial photographer so those types of website pertain more to you, you certainly pay enough attention to good websites to keep a list. But do you think what makes a good site for a commercial photographer also applies for art photographers? I'm no web designer, and obviously getting the right balance between aesthetics and speed/ease of access is important no matter what, but are you extending the same evaluative umbrella over every photographic website, or just commercial ones? Since all sites serve just about the same purpose, exposing as many eyes as possible to an artists work, should there even be a difference?

As a web designer I must say most photographer's websites are horrible, the off-the-shelf options are dreadful. Obviously the main aim of any photographers website is to show off their photos, many photographers are so paranoid about people stealing their work their images are too small, too compressed, or too covered in watermarks.

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen: http://www.mikemcfarlane.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    As a web designer I must say most photographer's websites are horrible, the off-the-shelf options are dreadful. Obviously the main aim of any photographers website is to show off their photos, many photographers are so paranoid about people stealing their work their images are too small, too compressed, or too covered in watermarks.

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen: http://www.mikemcfarlane.co.uk
    it might be okay as a web design, but in terms of presenting his work, parts of it are just horrible (along with the the big "20% off" style sticker on the front page - taaaacky...)

The galleries are just too cluttered - there's the massive pano across the top, there's a sidebar full of stuff, there text all over and around and then the overpowered pictures stuck in the middle of it all - your eye doesn't know where to go.

Surely, it's about the photographs - that's what the photographers is presenting/selling (and themselves in relation to those) - but you wouldn't think so from this website

Clean and simple with just enough information - especially as far as image presentation goes - is far more preferable.

I'd have to say that many of the art photographers I come across often have really nice sites (I'll try and remeber which) - apart from those that go mad with flash everything and euro/techno background music...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    it might be okay as a web design, but in terms of presenting his work, parts of it are just horrible (along with the the big "20% off" style sticker on the front page - taaaacky...)
    Do you mean the 'Take a View winner' bit? Well I guess flashes are a bit tacky but I guess he's proud of the fact.

I like the fact there's some background about what the photographer believes in and that his photos are about. Obviously the aim with his site is more commercial than those of art photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    The galleries are just too cluttered - there's the massive pano across the top, there's a sidebar full of stuff, there text all over and around and then the overpowered pictures stuck in the middle of it all - your eye doesn't know where to go.

Surely, it's about the photographs - that's what the photographers is presenting/selling (and themselves in relation to those) - but you wouldn't think so from this website

Clean and simple with just enough information - especially as far as image presentation goes - is far more preferable.

I'd have to say that many of the art photographers I come across often have really nice sites (I'll try and remeber which) - apart from those that go mad with flash everything and euro/techno background music...
    I guess I look at things in a different way, as a designer, I think the site works as a whole, with information, news RSS feeds etc, and I can see his images well enough. I agree that over-the-top Flash is a no no.

The problem I have with a lot of very simple 'art' websites is that I get no background information, about the photos or why the photographers taking them.

It's all a matter of opinion of course.

The Online Photographer is the first one I hit in the morning, followed by this one, then photo.net (Leica, Classic Cameras, and Large Format, in that order), and finally dPreview (digital tests and forums by camera make), with a peek at APUG about once every week or so. I haven't found a true photography BLOG that does anything for me.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well, I like Brett Weston's archive, but that's probably because I like his work so much. Mine is a work in progress, of course, so I will pay close attention to this thread for ideas!