Thread: Mac PS file open error workaround?

Daniel Geiger

Mac PS file open error workaround?

Since about PS CS1, the Mac PS versions have been very twitchy with opening files, either because of "wrong" file extension (.tif vs. .psd), and particularly with direct captures from PC-digital sources, Mac PS often fails to open files, even with nominal .tif files (I know there are multiple .tif flavors out there, but PS should be able to deal with this). [in PS 3-7 you could pretty much throw any file at PS and it would open it no problems]. There is a work around by opening the file in Preview, save-as .tif, and then it opens fine in PS.

Does anybody know a trick of making PS opening those files directly? Opening raw files with estimated dimensions has never worked for me. Thanks!

Re: Mac PS file open error workaround?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Geiger View Post
    Since about PS CS1, the Mac PS versions have been very twitchy with opening files, either because of "wrong" file extension (.tif vs. .psd), and particularly with direct captures from PC-digital sources, Mac PS often fails to open files, even with nominal .tif files (I know there are multiple .tif flavors out there, but PS should be able to deal with this). [in PS 3-7 you could pretty much throw any file at PS and it would open it no problems]. There is a work around by opening the file in Preview, save-as .tif, and then it opens fine in PS.

Does anybody know a trick of making PS opening those files directly? Opening raw files with estimated dimensions has never worked for me. Thanks!
    Last time things got really wonky I fixed it with Tech Tools Pro. I did a lot of directory maintenance and even defragged. The word on the street is that you don't need to in OS X, but I think it may not hold true for PhotoShop. I don't have any idea if this will address your problem but it fixed mine..

If nothing else, you ought to regularly repair permissions with the Disk Utility. Makes a big difference, in my experience.

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Re: Mac PS file open error workaround?

Daniel, usually this is a matter of the Mac not having a proper Type\Creator code or a conflict between the actual file type and the extension. You can force the Mac to use Photoshop by bringing up the Info box on the file and choosing the "Open With" panel and then choosing Photoshop for the application. If you click "Change All" then all files with the given extension (.tif, .jpg etc.) will open in Photoshop. I also use the "A Better Finder" tool suite which has a batching utility for restoring absent type\creator codes.

If you could clarify the specific scenario you're encountering I might be able to give a better answer. For example I'm not sure what you mean by "direct captures from PC-digital sources". But if the files in question are TIFFs which do open in Photoshop, just not automatically when double clicked, the solution is likely something screwy with the extension or codes.

Graphic Converter is also a good last-resort app which will open just about anything you throw at it.