Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just purcahsed a wisner technical 4x5 ?

just purcahsed a wisner technical 4x5 ?

hello

i just purchased a wisner technical camera and was looking for some tips , on camera movement , handling the camera ( is it alright to leave the camera on the tripod and just carry the tripod around over your shoulder ) , and maybe any kind of maintenance you might do .

also i recently bought a rodenstock grandagon 90mm 6.8 and a fujinon 250mm 6.3 . i bought both of these for $500.00 in great shape , but i would like to find a 135-mm or a 150-mm and would like some suggestions ( i would like to keep it under $400.00 so i know i am buying used )

i moved up from a graflex so i am really looking forward to using this new equipment .

thanks in advanced

sorry i posted this twice is it possible to delete one .
    Last edited by thetooth; 14-Jan-2008 at 16:49. Reason: sorry i posted this twice is it possible to delete one .

Big Negs Rock!

Re: just purcahsed a wisner technical 4x5 ?

What lens is on your Graflex? You can remount it if you want.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    What lens is on your Graflex? You can remount it if you want.
    yes , i know it is a 135mm graflex optar , not a bad lens but i would like to get something a little more recent . original owner of the camera inscribed his name , ss# , and 1946 on the back of the shutter .

i was thinking nikon or rodenstock .

thanks

Photographer

Most people I know carry their camera on the tripod when walking from one set-up to the next. Just make sure the camera is firmly attached to the tripod, the tripod controls are firmly secured, and all the movements on the camera are locked, and put on your lenscap. Other than keeping the camera (especially inside) clean, there should not be any maintenance. It's best not to use any lube on the rack.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Most people I know carry their camera on the tripod when walking from one set-up to the next. Just make sure the camera is firmly attached to the tripod, the tripod controls are firmly secured, and all the movements on the camera are locked, and put on your lenscap. Other than keeping the camera (especially inside) clean, there should not be any maintenance. It's best not to use any lube on the rack.
    thanks for the advice . i think i read in a thread on one of the websites that some one's camera back fell off while they were carrying it in this manner .

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    It's also a good idea to compress the bellows up..move the front standard fully back
    into the camera as much as possible. This protects the bellows in the event of a tree limb you didn't see or other objects in your path.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    It's also a good idea to compress the bellows up..move the front standard fully back
    into the camera as much as possible. This protects the bellows in the event of a tree limb you didn't see or other objects in your path.
    yes that's good info . i am accustomed to my graflex which is fairly quick to unfold and wrap up , i think i will enjoy the slower pace that the wisner may provided .

I had that camera years ago and I remember it would not focus at infinity with my Fujinon 90mm in place and with the standards neutral. I had to tilt the front standard back (from the base) and then re-plumb it back to vertical with the axis tilt. Mine was an early version so yours may not need this extra step.
    John Hennessy

I would suggest that you look into the Fujinon-W 150mm f/6.3 Lens as a possible prospect.

I inherited one when I bought my Shen Hoa camera and thought it was excellent.

I purchased another one through this forum last year, for insertion into a Razzle camera I am having made.

It is a small lens using the 40.5mm filter mount and comes with a Seiko shutter.

Expect to pay between $200 to $275 US sometimes a little cheaper.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hennessy View Post
    I had that camera years ago and I remember it would not focus at infinity with my Fujinon 90mm in place and with the standards neutral. I had to tilt the front standard back (from the base) and then re-plumb it back to vertical with the axis tilt. Mine was an early version so yours may not need this extra step.
    yes i have read about the problems with the wide angle lenses . i am hoping to find a set a bag bellows for the camera .