Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 5x7 use Technika Lensboards

Which 5x7 use Technika Lensboards

I've standardized on Technika lensboards and was pondering about getting a 5x7 camera sometime this year.

Gandolfi's use Technikas as do Chamonix, but Canham uses Canham.

Apart from rare 5x7 Technikas and Linhof Monorails, which other manufacturers use Technikas on their 5x7s ?

Re: Which 5x7 use Technika Lensboards

Not natively but the Shen Hao comes with a Sinar to Linhof 96mmx98mm adapter board. So you can fit your Linhof boards to the camera. Or for bigger lenses use a Sinar board.

Hello Ron,

My wooden Canham used to use Technika boards directly. This is something you can specify when ordering.
    The Technika boards are pretty much the smallest you can find and everybody offers adapters for them, so I don´t think it should make a big impact on the camera choice for you.
    Further, I am quite sure the 5x7" Technika used larger and rare boards!

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    Gandolfi's use Technikas as do Chamonix, but Canham uses Canham.
    Not completely accurate. Keith Canham offers a $150 modification to the 45/57 Traditional camera where he swaps out the Canham/Toyo frame in the front standard for a Technika frame. That is the setup I have on my Canham. Peter Gowland used to offer something similar on his 5x7 Pocket View. The 5x7 Tachihara and Shen Hao offerings may also use a Technika size frame but I don't recall for sure.

Beyond that. adapter boards are easy to come by. You mount the adaptor board and leave it in place then mounting all your lenses, which are already on Technika boards, to the adaptor. I have such a adaptor board on my rail camera and it basically just stays there. There is a small disadvantage to adaptor boards on field cameras .... if you use very wide lenses with recessed boards they sometimes get even more difficult to use.

Nice thing about adapters is they come off. Take the adapter off and use a bigger recessed board. For some reason I bought a recessed sinar type board for my 8x10 Shen. No sane reason once I had the camera and saw how wide the camera can go with a flat board. But the bigger Sinar type board would be easier to use then a recessed Linhoff board.

OTOH I'm not sure the same trick would work on the 5x7 Shen. The opening is smaller making a recessed Sinar board a problem.

The light weight Anba Ikea 5x7 uses technika boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    Not natively but the Shen Hao comes with a Sinar to Linhof 96mmx98mm adapter board. So you can fit your Linhof boards to the camera. Or for bigger lenses use a Sinar board.
    As do the Ebony 5x7s. Nice thing about Ebony's included adapter is that it doesn't displace a Technika-mounted lens forward at all. Great if you want your center tilts to remain in the shutter's center.

I use adapter boards on my Phillips Compact-II, I thought that the front standard for a Canham 4x5 or 5x7 would be too small for an adapter.

But knowing that Keith offers a modified front standard is very helpful.

I have a 5x7 reduction back for my Phillips, it's based on the Canham, so I'll shoot with that for a year and start saving for a 5x7 traditional ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    My Shen-Hao FCL57-A takes Technika Lensboards by default and natively :-)

Best regards
    Morten

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    I use adapter boards on my Phillips Compact-II, I thought that the front standard for a Canham 4x5 or 5x7 would be too small for an adapter.

But knowing that Keith offers a modified front standard is very helpful.
    In addition to the Technika-type front standard from the factory, Keith offers what he calls an "adapter frame" which allows Technika boards to be used on Canham cameras that have the regular Canham/Toyo style front standard. I have one of these - it's not an adapter board that can be left in place, rather a sort of spacer-widget that sits behind your Technika board and positions it just right so that the locking sliders on the camera's front standard will hold everything securely in place. If you think you might use lenses with a very large rear cell, it may make sense to get the regular Canham front standard which uses the larger Canham/Toyo boards, then use Canham boards for the big stuff and Technika boards with the adapter frame for your smaller lenses.

Also, FWIW, late-model Nagaoka 5x7's take Technika boards.