Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower cost scanner for 4x5 slides

Re: Lower cost scanner for 4x5 slides

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    shooting 8x10 and needed something bigger so last year i picked up a screen drum scanner for less than the price of the epson.
    What is a screen scanner?
    I have an Epson 3200 and get very soft scans with anything other than prints. I figured it didn't focus because of the extra height of the image while in the holder.
    Perhaps it's just getting old.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    I'm looking for opinions/advice on a lower cost scanner that would work well for scanning velvia 4x5 slides and printing up to 11x14 images at home. I'm not sure how high quality the scanner has to be in order to print a nice image that size...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
    Better get in line, see my recent thread. I've already scoured the web for new or used 4990s and there aint any. I called at least 10 places that list them on their website as "in stock", but of course they arent. Epson only updates their used stock list and web site once a month according to a supervisor there, they wont put anyone on a waiting list, and there are probably a dozen of us waiting to pounce when one shows up there. I'm starting to reconsider the Microtek i800 despite the dreadful reviews, because it may be a very long wait for anything better for less than $550.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Better get in line, see my recent thread. I've already scoured the web for new or used 4990s and there aint any. I called at least 10 places that list them on their website as "in stock", but of course they arent. Epson only updates their used stock list and web site once a month according to a supervisor there, they wont put anyone on a waiting list, and there are probably a dozen of us waiting to pounce when one shows up there. I'm starting to reconsider the Microtek i800 despite the dreadful reviews, because it may be a very long wait for anything better for less than $550.

Wayne
    I had a feeling that would be the case, I was browsing around online some and couldn't find any at all. Wonder why Epson didn't come out with a comparable model in the same price range, it seems pretty obvious that the 4990 was popular?

I was debating on the i800 as well, but some of the reviews I found were rather disheartening...

What about the Canon 8800f ? Does anybody here has an experience? I found a review on : http://www.stockholmviews.com/

I would be also interested ..
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    What about the Canon 8800f ? Does anybody here has an experience? I found a review on : http://www.stockholmviews.com/

I would be also interested ..
    That Scanner will not scan 4X5. It maxes out at 120 film. I'm kicking myself now that the 4990 is discontinued and the V700/V750 cost an arm and leg.

I started out with an HP ScanJet 5370C that'd do 4x5. Scans were good enough for some full-page publications. Bought it used for $30. Would sell it for that, too, plus shipping (wink wink)...

scott - the HP ScanJet 5370C will do a 4x5 neg in one shot?

Yeah, the transparency window is 5x5".

scott - you wouldn't have any example scans would you? I mean, ive got a cheap flat bed scanner that if it had a bigger light in the lid, i would be more than happy with for my 4x5 stuff....this sounds pretty much just like what i have, but with a bigger light in the lid.

What about the EPSON Perfection V200 it looks like a cheaper alternative to the v700 with out all the fancy software?
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25636.html