Thread: Presenting 20x25 Inch Prints

Presenting 20x25 Inch Prints

In about a month I am planning to start my 4x5 print portfolio. When I was shooting DSLR and 35mm chromes, everything was printed 11x17 on 13x19 paper. Since moving to 4x5 it seems a shame to shoot so large but print so small. So I would like to step up to printing at 20x25. However, finding a portfolio book in these dimensions is proveing challenging. So I'm wondering how other forum members are presenting their portfolios? Any recommendations for sources of archival portfolio books or other display materials in the 20x25 dimension?

Re: Presenting 20x25 Inch Prints

I make 11x14 prints to carry around and show.

The biggest case I could find is 18x24 and I am not sure I would want to lug that around.

If you find a bigger case, let us know.

Light Impressions makes all sorts of boxes and cases:
    http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...R=30000:180000
    Boxes up to 22x28 (the "Thinline") and museum cases up to 24.5x30.5. http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...:180000:185000

Drew

Cheers Drew. Just visited the site and found exactly what I was looking for. The Appollo Paper for interleaving [PN 10859] at 22x28, the Museum Case at 22.5x28.5 [PN 2926], and the Portfolio Carrying Bag at 23x31 [PN 9455]. I've listed the product numbers for other forum members that wish to do a quick search on the Light Impressions website to find these items.

I've used plastic sleeves in the past and I find the surface glare terrifically annoying and when printing on textured matte paper, the texture is difficult to discern. So I am going to try the approach indicated above. My only concern is will the interleaving sheets scratch the surface of the prints (inkjet prints, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl and Harman Gloss FB Al papers; I have found the Harman to be less resilient to micro scratches compared to the Hahnemuhle surface; for matte all prints are on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308). Given the weight of these papers, I have decided not to matte the images.

A few things to consider. If whomever is viewing your portfolio book wants to place it on their desk, then consider how much desk space an open 20x25 book will take. Considering that many reviewers might not have that big a desk, they might want to place your portfolio book in their laps, in which case that is a very large page size to try viewing that way. Then there is the matter of large pages being slightly easier to crease, wrinkle, or damage while turning pages. Your portfolio book should lay flat, to make viewing easier, but consider how much room that takes up.

I would suggest that if you really want such large prints to display, have them individually mounted on board, and only do a few of those for showing. The rest of your portfolio could be 11x14 or smaller pages. You might get asked to leave behind a portfolio for review, and be able to pick it up later, so there may be a need to have several books; another benefit with smaller books is reduced expense.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I am going to add that I have a commercially made 14x17" book with 25 two sided pages and it weighs a "ton".
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.