Thread: 4X5 prints?

4X5 prints?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I am in a large format photography class at art institute of Atlanta, and our first assignment is due Tuesday. We were to take a photo of the side of a building, and then take the 4X5 film to the lab (E6 Lab, in Atlanta) for processing. I went to pick it up after they had closed, and there was a negative. It had great color, and its the correct size, but its like a negative....however, the colors are not inverted. I know that this particular lab uses digital processing. We were supposed to take 2 photos exactly the same, and then we were supposed to tell the lab to "run one, hold one". I did all of these steps, but I don't know why this turned out to be a negative per say and not a "positive" print.

Any suggestions on what to do, other than going out and re-shooting? I am pinched for time, and thats not really an option. Couldn't I just call the lab on Monday and ask them to run the other one as a print? I would be glad to clarify if anybody has a question.

Thanks for the help guys, and I apologize if I sound a bit noobish. Thanks!

James

Re: 4X5 prints?

I'm a bit confused, but are you saying that you have a 4x5 slide (as in transparency)?
    It sounds like this is the case when you say that the colors are not inverted. This would look like a normal color print only on the film base rather than paper and would be viewed by holding it up to light or on a light table or box.

Or, does the film "negative" have an overall orange-ish appearance with what appear to be false colors?

Either one can be scanned and printed by your lab or in the case of the second, which would be a true negative, a direct print can be made.

If this is correct, you shouldn't need to re-shoot.

Good luck.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I think I got what you are saying.

It sounds like you used E6 transparency film. This gives you a positive transparency (like an "old" 35mm slide... but bigger?) This is the "original" by the way, so don't stick your fingers on it.

If you had used C41 film (big version of the sort of 35mm print film you would put in a 35mm camera/point and shoot and get an envelopeof prints back) you would have got a 4x5 colour negative with an overall orange cast.

Both can have prints made from them - in the case of you 4x5 transparency, probably easiest these days by scanning with a scanner that has a transparency lid/adapter and then worked on in photo shop (same can be done with the C41 4x5 negative - it can also be printed/enlarged by someone with a colour 4x5 enlarger and darkroom set-up)

Also, keep the 4x5 transparency in a nice protective transparent sleeve (hopefully it came from the lab in one?) and it can also just be viewed on a lightbox.

Hope this helps

(I'm sure it can be confusing if you only grew up on digital - at a guess) :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What film did you use? It sounds like a 4x5 transparency (which in 35mm format, they would put a plastic mount on it and call it a "slide"). If the colors look correct (i.e. the image is not only not inverted but looks like what you actually saw) you have 4x5 transparency film that was developed correctly and there should be no need to develop the other shot at this moment.

While you can scan transparencies or negatives and print digitally, I sincerly doubt they are "digitally processing" your film.

Hope that helps, and have fun with the class!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I'm a bit confused...
    It sounds like this is the case when you say that the colors are not inverted. This would look like a normal color print only on the film base rather than paper and would be viewed by holding it up to light or on a light table or box.
    precisely the situation. brilliant! so can i just take it to wolf camera and get a print made? I called my teacher, and he was asking if it had an orange color, and it does not.

Any other ideas?

thanks for all the help fellas

Assuming that Wolf Camera can properly scan a 4x5 transparency, you should be good to go. If they can't do it, go back to the pro lab for that service and have them make the print.

Welcome to the world of large format....you'll love it.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesgott View Post
    precisely the situation. brilliant! so can i just take it to wolf camera and get a print made? I called my teacher, and he was asking if it had an orange color, and it does not.

Any other ideas?

thanks for all the help fellas
    I don't think Wolfe can handle 4x5 film as they are strictly amateur photo. Take the film back to E-6 Labs and tell them what you need.

Don Bryant

problem averted.

thanks guys, i will definitely be back.

Check the film notches on the top of the film that will tell the film type. If you exposed 4x5 transparency film and you got a "negative" image then the lab could have forgotten to use the second developer that goes with E-6. other than that I don't know,but check the film notches first that will at least tell you the film type.