Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Availability of ink in the long run...

Re: Availability of ink in the long run...

If the factory discontinues ink, there still may be after-market bulk film adaptors.

Lenny,

:-) thanks for the feedback. I'm just a private user :-) no heavy use here. But I understand your out-cry for proper mechanical engineering. The rolands, are, eh, somewhat big. (yes you can use smaller paper).

Buying myself a 24" printer is, when looking below the bottem-line, probably an utterly riducolous way to burn money :-) but what the heck!! and it is a different discussion.

Cheers,

Huib

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Huib,

I think you need to ask yourself why the pros replace a printer every 2 to 3 years. I am a pro myself and unfortunately can answer this. The answer is that the printers you reference all break in that amount of time. In fact, they are designed to do so. They are designed to break at the earliest possible moment. I have never seen such poor design in my life, not even in a bad toaster oven. They print fairly well...

Since I am in business to print, I have moved over to Roland's. They are built quite a bit differently - and the prices are quite a bit higher. They are made like tanks, with parts that are easy to replace, maintenance routines that are easy to accomplish, etc. Everything is easy to get to. They don't waste paper and ink. There are no places where metal parts and plastic parts interact in a way that will break them. I imagine Mimaki's and Mutoh's are also very good in this respect altho' I am not sure they have the higher resolutions (I don't know). I would recommend you try and find a used FJ500 or FJ540. They will last and last and last. I just picked one up for half the cost of a new Epson. I can now hang a sign above my door that says "Epson-Free Shop".

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Huib View Post
    Lenny,

:-) thanks for the feedback. I'm just a private user :-) no heavy use here. But I understand your out-cry for proper mechanical engineering. The rolands, are, eh, somewhat big. (yes you can use smaller paper).

Buying myself a 24" printer is, when looking below the bottem-line, probably an utterly riducolous way to burn money :-) but what the heck!! and it is a different discussion.

Cheers,

Huib
    Here is the different discussion. The argument can be made that the bigger printer with larger ink tanks, will ( on a per ml cost ) recover the larger cost of the printer much sooner that you might expect. At that point, it will be cheaper to own the larger printer.