Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incomer from lyon

Incomer from lyon

Hi !

I'm 25 old french (No-one is perfect) photographer from Lyon, and my name is Guillaume. I fell in photographie 2 years ago, and continue to fall deeper every day. I shoot with 135 Reflex argentic and numeric, with a yashica mat, and, i hope soon with a 4x5 camera.

I'll try to discover LF photography. May be i'll test and learn with a friend how to use this kind of camera (if i could persuade him to learn me). I'm looking for a 4x5 camera kit like toyo 4x5, F1 or Cambo. I'm keen on urban photography, so, the weight isn't a problem (i don't need to bring it far in mountain ).

thank's for reading me !

edit : I believe a invent a word in title
    Sorry for my poor english, i'm not used to write english, just reading is much more easy.
    Last edited by Guillaume B; 26-Mar-2008 at 07:25. Reason: I believe a invent a word in title

Re: Incomer from lyon

Welcome!
    by the way, your english is fine; certainly better than my French.
    MS

Hello Guillaume,

welcome to the forum.

This is one of the best places to learn about large format photography and there is a bunch of very helpful and kind people here who will help you with almost any question.

My advice would be not to bother too much about gear. Just get a camera with one lens and go out and use it a lot. After a while, you will see more clearly what you like and what you need.

Most of all: Have fun with LF!

Welcome to the LF Forum, Guillaume.

thx all !
    Lot of my friend and people look me as E.T. when i hold the yashica. I ask myself of what will happen when i'll bring a 4x5 in the street...
    Thank's Aender for your precisions .

I don't need lot of thing i believe. A camera, a pod, 4 to 5 film holder with Shangai film (much cheapper than the Trix film i use every time), or may be a 120 or 220 film roll back in first time. For the lense, a 120mm will be a good choice?
    I always have a 50mm on my eos 30v..

Eric Biggerstaff

Welcome to the forum Guillaume!

This is a great place to learn and I look forward to reading your posts. If you are going with a 4X5, I think a 150mm or 210mm would be a good place to start with a lens. The 210mm is readily available and can be found for a lower price than many other lenses. Just a suggestion.

Have fun and let us know how you are progressing in your photography.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Welcome to the English-speaking LF Club !

Since you live in Lyons, France, may be we met recently, or may be you just missed an interesting informal Large Format Photography gathering in Vienne, just south of Lyons. (In English, Lyon takes an S never knew why !)
    More info here :
    http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/...=17030&t=17030
    http://photo.guigue.free.fr/Rencontre_2008/ (click on the apéro-picture to enter the digital slide show ;-)

What will happen when you start shooting with a 4x5? Is is simple, everyone will start asking, "Is that a Hasselbblad?". Welcome, good luck and good light.

Bienvenu Guillaume,

Urban 4x5 photography: you might want to search for a Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic. A photographer of many years ago named Weegee used something similar for street photos.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

This is what i want to ba able to do one time...

http://www.claudioedinger.com/photos/rio%204x5/

The work will be hard may be