Thread: Silly Newby Question

Silly Newby Question

Hello all you LF experts,
    I have a silly but important question. I have just loaded my first 4x5 film holders and am very excited to shoot some velvia 100F real soon. Here's the question... When I am ready to unload what do I put the exposed film into to send it off for processing? I only have the box and envelope that the balance of my unused film is in. Could someone please lead me through the process?
    Thanks,
    Peebs

Re: Silly Newby Question

When I first got going in LF I went down to the lab and asked them if they had any empty boxes they could give me. They were more than happy to give me 4 or 5 boxes. Give it a shot.

If that isn't an option I am sure there are some LF'rs on this board that reside close to you and could either get together with you or mail you a box.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I would be happy to send you a 3 piece film box. Send your address, will mail today.

How close are you to Montrose, Colorado on the western slope?

Chas3@qwest.net

Hi Guys,
    I am in Loveland, on the front range. There are no labs that do 4x5 around here anymore. I do have one that I have mailed MF and 35mm to that also does LF.
    If you could send me a couple boxes that would be great! [edit:Please PM me for the address]. Thanks again.
    Bill Peebles
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 11-Jan-2008 at 22:24. Reason: as requested by poster

I would suggest to send a PM and edit your post to remove your address: in this day and age it's not a good idea to have your address floating around on the 'net.

I did the following. I had some opaque paper from old printing paper boxes---but any black thick opaque paper would do. I cut out two rectangular pieces of cardboard a little larger than the film, put the film between them, then wrapped the sandwich in the opaque paper. I then turned that over, and again wrapped it in the opaque paper so that the opening was covered up.. Finally I did the same thing over again, and secured the whole package with tape. This accomplishes the same thing as the film box. Of course, I did this all in the dark,

When you send it to off to the lab, you should enclose a note explaining what you did, but labs generally know how to deal with such things.

Since you are new to lf may I suggest some reading

Using the View Camera that I wrote, Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography, or Jim Stone's User's Gukde to the View Camera.

Also check the archives here on this forum and the Free Articles section of

www.viewcamera.com

Also, you are close to foto3 which will be in Ft. Collins in June

www.foto3-2008.info

good luck

steve simmons

Peebs,

First, there are plenty of labs relatively near you that will process 4X5 film.

Photocraft in Boulder does at least E-6
    Qube visual in downtown Denver does silver B&W and E-6 and I think C-41 also.
    I'm sure there is someplace in Ft. Collins too.
    I know these aren't real close to Loveland, but they aren't too far.

Those are just two to start.

I live in the Springs. A bit too far to just run boxes up to you. But on the 19th (next Saturday), the Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers group of NPN will be having their annual shindig, which I will be attending. I could spare a box for you and I'm sure a few others could too. There are lots of LF landscape shooters in that group. I would recommend that you purchase some 10 sheet boxes initially as these are more convenient to take to the lab and you'll go through the boxes faster.

Send me a PM and I can give you some details.

PCraft (Boulder) develops BW,too. Great people to work with.

If you mail your film in, I would paste a note on the box stating film type, exposure info, normal or push processing and also state "return in this box". Maybe you can get your box back. If the box is not for the film you have, do some magic marker work to help give a clue and avoid confusion.After a while you should accumulate enough that it won't be a problem.