Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to large format

Talking New to large format

Just purchased an 8x10 gorgeous Dorff and am taking tiny steps up to finally getting to use the camera. Still need a film holder and instructions on how to load and shoot, but just finished cobbling together a surveyor's tripod, bought a three way pan tilt head from B&H where I received excellent help and a wonderful Shadow Box film
    changing tent. Can hardly wait to try out the camera, but need to figure out, among many things, how to develope the film as I gave up my darkroom. I am a serious amateur and am chided constantly about being an older woman with a big camera.

Re: New to large format

If you can carry the weight, others are at risk kidding you about it! A slight tap on their head with your pod should stop the kidding! There are some good books out there that others will probably refer you to--I don't have them, so can't remember the titles.

Welcome to the club! What sort of lens will you be using with that 'Dorff? And what type of images will you be making with it?

Vaughn

Smile Re: New to large format

The only lens is a pristine Goerz Dagor F6.8 focus 12 inches. Old and uncoated. I love
    portraiture of botanicals and sometimes people. Lens came from the same man from whom I bought the camera. Plan on doing contact printing -platinum/palladium.

Wow, talk about both feet into something. Ok, not that much difference between 4x5 and 8x10 except size, and costs (film and processing), but sure makes an expensive learning curve. I wish you luck and enjoy it. After my first year in 4x5, it's really cool and fun, and I get some good images too, as long as I keep my brain plugged in.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Great! Nice lens. I do pt/pd printing as well as carbon with my 8x10. Nice size to work with for contact printing. have fun!

vaughn

Welcome to the LF Forum, Joan, and to the wonderful world of 8x10.

You'll find previous threads here discussing development techniques - trays vs. Jobo (rotary processors), etc. And discussions of changing bags and tents (Harrison tents are popular).

You don't need a darkroom, as such - only a suitable working space that you can make dark when needed. How much space depends on your work style.

Hello Joan,
    'Dorffs & Dagors rock! That sounds like a fine kit--- Welcome aboard! Loading 8x10 holders isn't hard. PM me and I'll send to a scrap piece of 8x10 film to practice on (I'm in Fresno.)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think I sent a PM, but not sure. Thank you, but I have a pc. of old film.

You ask about developing the film and you say that you don't have a darkroom. Are you asking about labs to send the film to or are you asking about how to do it yourself without a dedicated darkroom? If the latter, it's certainly possible to develop b&w yourself pretty easily as long as you have a dark space large enough for a minimum of three trays to be spread out and a way to wash the negatives. There are plenty of books out there to tell you how to do it, one that I like is Ansel Adams "The Negative."

Congratulations on the camera, Deardorffs are great, I've owned two.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Welcome Joan. That is quite a start into LF but i sense that you are dedicated and have your goals set.
    Know from another thread that you are planning on doing your film processing in a 25"x25" changing bag using a 3005 for processing, it will be tight so working with a piece of film before you put something important in there will be essential.
    Good luck, look forward to see some photos.