Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen hao internal flare - compendium shade or flocking modification?

Confidently Agnostic!

Shen hao internal flare - compendium shade or flocking modification?

I've noticed in a few images (actually, unfortunately, more than a few) that the black paint just inside the rear wooden frame of my shen hao is actually a little too glossy, and that I tend to get nasty flare with bright objects (not even necessarily extremely bright light sources like the sun or anything) when the image cast by the lens lands just on the frame and bounces onto the film.

I hadn't been paying much attention to this until a rash of recent negatives where I can see it in sevearl cases, and now I've noticed that's it's actually quite noticable on the ground glass.

I'm thinking about two options. The first is the compendium shade; I consider that to be a huge pain in the ass though, and I'd like to avoid it. The other is obviously repainting the interior with a more flat black finish or flocking it with the kind of stuff you can get from astronomical supply stores and such.

Have any of you done this to your shen hao, and what would you recommend? I'm asking just to try to save spending too much money on different solutions that may or may not work, and like I've said I'm not keen on the hassle of a compendium shade.

Re: Shen hao internal flare - compendium shade or flocking modification?

Would it be possible to take some steel wool and rough up the finish or use a very matte clear print spray or other laquer to kill the shine? I'm not familiar with the Shen Hao, but if you can remove the bellows like in my Zone VI, I would think this might work.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Confidently Agnostic!

I can remove the bellows and back, so painting is probably one of the better options, though I'm not very skilled at masking or aiming a spray can

Will resort to it as a last effort though.

you might be able to glue some felt to the offending area as well. Erna has not had this problem with her Shen-Hao even though she has shot in some fairly bright and reflective situations. Are you sure it's not the glare from your forehead LOL.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Edmund Industrial Optics sells adhesive-backed flocking paper. It stops stray light better than Krylon Utra Flat Black.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I'd noticed this too when a just-out-of-scene light caused edge glow visible on the ground glass. I disassembled the back and sprayed the "black" surfaces with Krylon Ultra-Flat Black as Dan mentioned since I had a can the stuff. I protected non-target areas with the easy-to-remove blue masking tape sold for painting. This solved the problem as far as I could see at the time. Flocking paper would be less messy to apply, though, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I've noticed in a few images (actually, unfortunately, more than a few) that the black paint just inside the rear wooden frame of my shen hao is actually a little too glossy, and that I tend to get nasty flare with bright objects (not even necessarily extremely bright light sources like the sun or anything) when the image cast by the lens lands just on the frame and bounces onto the film.

I hadn't been paying much attention to this until a rash of recent negatives where I can see it in sevearl cases, and now I've noticed that's it's actually quite noticable on the ground glass.

I'm thinking about two options. The first is the compendium shade; I consider that to be a huge pain in the ass though, and I'd like to avoid it. The other is obviously repainting the interior with a more flat black finish or flocking it with the kind of stuff you can get from astronomical supply stores and such.

Have any of you done this to your shen hao, and what would you recommend? I'm asking just to try to save spending too much money on different solutions that may or may not work, and like I've said I'm not keen on the hassle of a compendium shade.

Where is this, can you post a picture of the area, it would help many of us.

I have put some flocking material in the back of my lensboard of my Nagaoka and it is perfect the material is pre glue and very thin and is 97% non reflecting you can order this material at http://www.fpi-protostar.com/

Forget the spray can! Spray the paint into an old can lid or something, and use an artist's paintbrush or a Q-Tip to paint it onto the camera.