Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ten Answers To A Newbee Question

Wink First Ten Answers To A Newbee Question

Q. I am just starting out in LF photography, but don't want to spend much on it until I know whether it's for me. I can get a Crown Graphic with 135mm lens for $250, or a Kodak Master View with a 203mm lens for $275, both in good condition. I shoot landscapes and pictures of my family. Which do you think would be a better starter for me?
    A1. I think you should get the best camera/lens you can find. I would recommend an Ebony PDQ with a 110mm Schneider Super Apo-apo LAX Simonize, like I have.
    A2. Since you are going to be shooting landscape and portraits, you should get a Arkus-Swsser Model Z with a Cooke quad-convertible Mark 3 lens, like I have.
    A3. I agree with A2, and don't forget that you will need a Quartzo Carbon-fiber optic tripod and Arkus-Swizzer ball-head. That's what I use. If you don't buy the very best, you'll just be wasting your money in LF.
    A4. Well I have an Arkus-Swizzer Model Z and Ebony PDQ, but I don't use them any more since I started shooting with my 12x20 Wisher Panoramic. They're both good cameras, but I think that you will prefer a really big negative if you're going to shoot LF.
    A5. There's a 1935 Speedy Grabit on Fleabay right now for $3.95 (plus $50 S&H). I think that you should get this to start.
    A5 (same poster). Of course you will need a lens for it, and I just happen to be selling my 1935 Goats Dagor on the correct lensboard for it. The shutter is stuck open and the lenses have been sandpapered, but it won't affect the results. I don't know nothing about cameras, and it is sold as is.
    A6. Does anybody know where I can get a main spring for a Goats dagor shutter?
    A7. Is it multicoated?
    A8. I see on the Digital Camera Forum that you just bought a Canon 1DSMk3. That will give better pictures than you can get from a 4x5 camera. So forget switching to LF.
    A9. Ansel Adams used a Hasselblad -- and they are very inexpensive now, and as good as 4x5.
    Q2 (original poster). Thank you for your answers. Do you think that I should use Kodak TMax 100 or Fuji Velvita film? And can anyone recommend a cheap lab near HotSpot, Nevada?
    A10. TMax is black and white film whereas Velvita is color. I use both of them, and send my film to Super-Duper Labs in Zurich for processing, where it is cheap but slow. I am also looking for someone in the USA to buy some photo equipment for me. I will send you a certified check. Please respond to Dr. Ngaabi@Nigeria.com.

Re: First Ten Answers To A Newbee Question

Scanning or traditional dark room?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You forgot "Do I need a center filter with the Goats?"

A11. You should consider the Shank-Ho or maybe getting a ShameOnIck; nearly the same thing as one of 'em 'ere Ebonery cameras.

A12: And don't forget the meter. For LF work, one must have a super-duper spotmeter. I recommend the SuckOnIck model 87975M. It'll keep your inner thigh warm in winter.

A13: You'll need a loupe too. Without a loupe, you simply won't be able to generate a critically sharp image. I have a Sneezer atmospheric but I recommend the Rollerspock because it is longer and weighs less and costs more.

Preston Birdwell

A 10-1: Personally, I prefer Provialone and Velveeta. That way, if the light is crummy, I can put it on a Ritz.

A14: I didn't see a tripod mentioned. You'll need the Gitzoid 1224 wit the Airheadtech Ball head and Arca-Sweezer plate.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

A15: Wrist straps are preferable to neck straps. Also don't forget to consider a protective filter.

A16 (mocking Bill): A true, Leitz Tiltall can hold a Wisner 12x20.

A17 (mocking me): Skip 8x10 and go straight to 11x14. Me? I shoot 8x10. Also, get Sironars, they're wonderful. Me? I sold all my Sironars.

A18- If your Feardorff , Winer, or Zone 666 cameras breakdown, take em to Richard Fritter... he can fix anything.

A19- Take your Kojak Eektar, Rottenstock and Red Hot Fartars to SK Krimes.

A20- Always look for typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    A14: I didn't see a tripod mentioned. You'll need the Gitzoid 1224 wit the Airheadtech Ball head and Arca-Sweezer plate.

-PB
    Preston, see A3.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)