Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

I just got off the phone with the guy at Harry's Pro Shop. He's the representative for Wisner in Canada. I called to order some blank lens boards and to get a price on a replacement bellows. He told me that as far as he knows Wisner is out of business.

So I then called Lens & Repro in NY. Same thing. Doesn't know for sure but hasn't heard a peep out of anyone from Wisner Mfg. Co. for a "long time".

I tried calling Wisner Mfg. directly but I can't find a phone number on their web site (which is still up).

So does anyone know? Are they kaput?
    Last edited by Nick Kanellos; 8-Jan-2008 at 14:40. Reason: Corrected some mistakes in grammar.
    Nick Kanellos

Dave Karp

Re: Wisner Mfg. Co. Status???

Don't know about Wisner, but S.K. Grimes carries Wisner boards: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm (Found this while looking for something else.)

I have been doing Wisner repair for the past 10 years and have lens boards in stock.

Richard Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Dave Karp

Ah yes. I should have thought of Richard too. Sorry.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

No great loss.

I remember the first time I ever saw the Wisner website, I was so young in the LF game! Everything looked amazing, and man, I had a jonesing for an 8x10 Pocket Expedition. And then I started reading about Wisner...

Now I want an 8x10 Lotus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    No great loss.
    A great loss in potential. The camera line were very ambitious and valued by a lot of people. He needed a proper organization it seems.

It's one thing to be able to make things it's another to be able to deliver and service. I'm disappointed that everything was just shut down!

For people that already have the cameras, it's a great thing that we still have options for service and repairs. However, with the Lotus, Chamonix, Ritter and all the other handmade cameras, there's more than enough choices.

Still, it's a disappointment. I had hope to get a Polaroid processor and a 16x20 Polaroid holder they were going to make. Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher
    I disagree completely. We will have access to high quality film for as long as we maintain a positive attitude on the subject, consume film regularly and encourage others to explore the marvels of film. But that is not what this post is about.

Wisner was one of the lead dogs in the view camera game from the beginning and through their progressively ineffective business practices paved the way for a diverse array of alternative camera manufacturers to enter the business and fill the void very effectively. Given these marvelous alternatives LF and ULF photographers now have a reason to smile because they have choices. For all practical purposes Wisner has already ridden into the sunset and is holding on to a tax deduction for as long as the depreciation schedule on his equipment holds out. There is no financial reason for this company to do anything but the minimum in attempting to be in the business. The name will remain on a number of brass face plates of cameras still in operation but it will be nothing more than a small bit of trivial information for the historically inclined.

Onward!

Polaroid film?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Soon the matter will be utterly mute as there will be no film!

Asher
    Where do people that make statements like this come from?

That is so far from the truth that it is funny!

Geeze talk about doom and gloom...

I am hear to tell you film is doing quite well and will continue to do so, for a great number of years!

God..

Dave