Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black & White – a natural progression?

Re: Black & White – a natural progression?

There is an interesting analogue to this in how the brain processes visual information. Visual information processing can be broadly differentiated into a what system (concerned with object recognition and color recognition) and a where system (concerned with location, movement, depth perception and figure-ground organization etc). The where system is actually color blind and this gives rise to some of the most interesting phenomena in art. For example, the impressionist technique of closely placing complementary hues of similar luminance gives rise to a sense of movement is closely related to the fact that the where system being color blind ignores the hue but the what system does proces it and this creates a spatial imprecision that makes the brush strokes seem to 'jitter' around, creating a sense of movement or fluttering etc. There are other differences between the two systems - the where system is more sensitive to contrast and is faster, relative to the what system. There is a very large amount of visual information processing that is completely achromatic or colorblind in that sense. There are a couple of reasons offered for this kind of segregation. One is evolutionary - the where system is similar in most lower mammals, which seems logical given that the functions it serves have primitive biological significance. Movement is important for survival in a predator-prey context. Spatial and depth information and figure-ground segregation is important to navigate a three-dimensional world. The evolutionarilly more recent what system was thus probably overlaid onto this earlier system and in that sense, the what system is a primate add-on. The second explanation is that it is more efficient (or parsimonious) to carry information about an object's appearance (shape and color) separately from its motion and trajectory. I find it interesting that engineers in more recent technologies (e.g., HDTV) have arrived at similar strategies to transmit images. Rather than redefine every pixel repeatedly, more efficient strategies are to redefine only those pixels that change or to define an objects shape and color separately from its motion and trajectory, echoing the subdivisions of our visual systems.

So, I suspect this is a very personal decision to do with what visual concerns you are trying to deal with in your art/photography. I paint and that always seemed a more natural way to deal with color concerns for me. What interested me with photography as a medium had to do with the density of information that it conveyed (see Ivins' "Prints and Visual Communication"). Once I started following along those trains of thought, I realized just how much visual information was achromatic in nature and B/W photography became a natural medium to explore these issues. I was also becoming uninterested in 'things' but was more interested in the 'relationships between things' and much (though not all) of that seemed to be achromatic in nature. Finally, as much as we live in a modern world of acrylic gloss, the truth is we inhabit a fairly 'grey' world, for the most part. Saturated color is the exception rather than the norm and I was a little uninspired with color photography which seemed mostly about searching for saturated color. I think Edward Weston's advice to Cole about 'seeing color as form' is worth pondering. I find much (not all) of color photography degenerates into a sort of 'making portraits of things' which I'm not terribly interested in, but that may just be betraying my visual concerns.

Cheers, DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    My little saying has been that color tells you what something looked like, b&w tells you what something felt like.
    That's a profound observation, Brian. Thanks.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Richard M. Coda

Color blindness did it for me ;^)
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Black and white lets me produce prints which show the picture the way I want it to look. I'e shot a lot of color and it all looks like snapshots to me, and not very good snapshots at that. The first time a black and white print came up in the developer I said "That's what I meant!". I shoot a few sheets of color every once in a while, but they all still look like snapshots to me.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Thomas

For me the natural progression was just the other way round. I started photography with small format and color and moved to B&W at some point, still small format. I think a trip to the American Southwest at that time and some books with B&W photography from the area had a lot to do with it. Those pictures rung a bell inside me. I continued with small format for a while, then moved to medium format. This was just a couple of years ago, and digital was already big. So labs who did my B&W development closed shop and I started to do my own development. Only after I had learned this I finally moved to LF (well, maybe that is not final, you never know). So in that sense LF was the natural progression of having moved to B&W before.

So, I guess there is always a natural progression but it will be a very different one for everyone. Different starting points, different endings (if there is an ending) and different paths.

I have stuck with B&W since I started with it, only the negatives have increased in size. As already mentioned in this thread the choice between B&W and color is a matter of personal preference, and I agree it is difficult to do both B&W and color because you have to look at things completely different. What may be a perfect subject for color may be a poor snap in B&W and vice versa.

Greetings, Thomas

I love B&W, it brings the emotions home and besides, it's great to have negatives to print in the darkrrom ;-)

But I've also shot a fair amount of color, all transparencies, in LF. Recently on a trip to Maui, I shot about 25-30 sheets of Provia, and only 5 sheets of TXP. (Hoping to have some of these online soon)...but knowing that I wasn't going to be back there anytime soon, I wanted to get the colors down, however obligatory the photos may seem afterwards. Does this make sense?

I think that you have to see differently, actually visualize differently with your choice of film, ie, today on my way home from a rehearsal in downtown LA I stopped the car to shoot a diptych that I had scoped out a few days ago. I saw the finished print in B&W in my mind (a 4x5 diptych with rebate showing) and that's what I went with. Now I can't wait to develop these negs. I also didn't shoot any safety shots, just the 2 negs and that was it. I'm always trying to build my confidence when I'm out on the street shooting. Of course, sometimes your materials fail you, albeit rarely, but that's a chance I'm willing to take...

All in all, I think that you just have to let your instincts tell you which way to go for whatever particular purpose you have in mind. I think it's good to be versed well in all of the materials available to you...just my two cents.

I do B&W because I like it...EC

I moved predominantly into black and white for my non-snapshots about five or six years ago, which is when I realized that color adds little to (and often detracts from) the subjects I most often shoot and the kinds of photos I like to create. There seem to be two factors at work here. When I "pre-visualize" a potential photo, I'm usually focused (sorry) primarily on the relationships between shapes in the composition (and, to a somewhat lesser extent their tonality) and not so much on the colors. It's just something about the way I see. Also, I've not mastered the theory and practice for effectively exploiting relationships between colors. It's probably well worth learning that -- artists who understand color well can produce stunning results -- but so far I've not.

Basically, I shoot black and white not because I think it's somehow inherently better or more "pure" than color, but rather because right now I think I lack the particular tools and talents needed to productively make use of this very powerful variable.
    Last edited by Matt Blaze; 9-Jan-2008 at 17:47.

I don't think it's "progress" as much as it is exploration. Certainly adding new tricks to your bag is progress after a fashion, but I don't think the order is, or neccesarily has to be in any natural progression.

Making pictures on your cave wall is natural. Whether they are color or monochrome or both dosen't seem to me to be an issue so long as you are satisfied with your medium of expression.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm paraphrasing the words of someone far more accomplished than I, but...

"In colour I photograph someone's sweater; in black and white, I photograph their soul."

I also think it's a unique paradox that a process that's "simpler" actually becomes more complex, the more you delve into it.