Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roadside chapels, shrines or crosses in Nevada

roadside chapels, shrines or crosses in Nevada

Hello all

Does anybody know of any shrines, figures or crosses located outside of towns in Nevada (I know it is big, so - anywhere in Nevada)? Or even in towns for that matter.

I will be in Nevada for few days and would like to go to see and photograph anything that is or was placed there for a religious, artistic or somewhat similar reason.

Possibly it is more a question for the residents who know their region best. Can you please share locations/directions and stories associated with people and those places?

Any info on any even most obscure and forgotten display of faith of travelers or locals (and not being a church building)?

-Mark C

Re: roadside chapels, shrines or crosses in Nevada

Probably not what you are looking for, but since we are talking religious shrines in Nevada, how about the Chicken Ranch near Pahrump or the Mustang Ranch near Reno.

Hi Kirk

I know, I was thinking about "angels" in the Sin City - unfortunately they don't line up in front of their cubicles as in the good old days...

To be frank I look for figures of the Virgin or other public display of religious devotion. The only item so far I located in Nevada is the "Maiden's" Grave Cross at the cemetery close to Beowawe. But since that is cemetery I wonder if there is anything similar to that in other, public places in Nevada.

Kirk, I wanted to thank you for the print I received during the exchange. So here it is - thank you very much for the beautiful print of what interests me very much.

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_C View Post
    Hello all

Does anybody know of any shrines, figures or crosses located outside of towns in Nevada (I know it is big, so - anywhere in Nevada)? Or even in towns for that matter.

I will be in Nevada for few days and would like to go to see and photograph anything that is or was placed there for a religious, artistic or somewhat similar reason.

Possibly it is more a question for the residents who know their region best. Can you please share locations/directions and stories associated with people and those places?

Any info on any even most obscure and forgotten display of faith of travelers or locals (and not being a church building)?

-Mark C
    Mark,

This shot was taken in AZ down near Tucson. I've never seen this before but it is apparently a stretch of highway where the "sponsors" for cleaning up roadside litter are families desiring to memorialize someone.

You might find something similar in NV.

Note: My impression was that these were not the actual locations of fatal traffic accidents with the usual makeshift memorials - but rather a particular stretch of roadway dedicated for memorials.

There are plenty in my neck o' the woods. I pass about a handful each day on my rounds. Look for them on particularly notorious stretches of road--the locals can steer you to those places but be careful for obvious reasons. I'm not in Nevada but 'over the hill' in California. The custom comes from Mexico and from what I've studied, is a bit sketchy. I've heard of them referred to (I think---I'm working from memory and mine ain't so hot) as refrendas (altars?) and reposadas (resting spots?) I don't know much spanish beyond the taco bell menu I'm afraid. The local custom is that they are erected where an accident---usually a traffic accident--has occurred that claimed a life or lives. Some are quite touching, especially when its children who were killed. The roadworkers and property owners generally allow them to stay up as long as they are maintained or the road isn't widened.
    Some people are creeped out by them. I'm not. Like I said some are very touching memorials obviously constructed with great love and saddness. I am creeped out by people who "memorialize" their hydraulicly sprung low rider chevy in honor of a dead chum though. Now thats creepy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I started a self assignment about 8 months ago to photograph them here in TX (...I know, not in Nevada). I became interested in them when I captured one as part of another self assignment I am doing that I call Roadside Texas. Now I go out looking for them and have nearly created the need for another one (mine!) once or twice, although usually because the person following me too closely for the 20-30 MPH over the speed limit he was doing did not see my intention to stop.

I agree with John, many of them are very touching and quite elaborately constructed and decorated.

hello again

thank you all for the comments, I guess I should have explained more clearly what is that i am after, as much as the road accidents memorials are interesting I keep my eye on objects quite common in Europe or probably in Mexico as well - that is crosses, shrines or chapels built sometimes at the fork of roads sometimes as markers (cairn?), some of them might be of what is left from settlement or church long gone

since here in Vancouver, BC - that is within large modern city I encountered only two such items - a figure in the back alley of our cathedral and some kind of "billboard with a fresco" by one of the churches I am not surprised that not too much of that is in Nevada, just like in the other places I've visited in the US and Canada

non-religious shrines, such as Kirk has pointed earlier out are interesting as well and I sometimes photograph them too, specially if related to politics or some local custom

below are two versions of the sculpture of St. Francis in Vancouver - one shot on 6x6 cm and the second one on 4x5"

thanks everyone, I'll post my findings if I locate something interesting during my trip
    -Mark C

more of what I am after you can see here http://homepage.mac.com/zbigniew/web...uary_2006.html (only some of them I shot on LF)

You might find something like that in communities with large Basque populations such as Winnemucca, or in old mining towns. Here in California stuff like that gets vandalized
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hello all

after the trip and some darkroom work

http://homepage.mac.com/zbigniew/pag...alifornia.html

Visiting Nevada was very enjoyable experience, however I wish I had spent more time in Austin. Or in Gabbs. Or Tonopah.

There is always possibility of the next time...

-Mark C

Mark:

How about: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sight...ttrId=%3D12538

It is well worth it to see the town, anyway.