Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado River Trip

Re: Colorado River Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Don Boyd View Post
    I will be doing a 21 day trip on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon (Lee's Ferry to Diamond Creek) beginning mid-Sept. I would love to hear from others who have done the trip with their view camera. In particular, I am interested in: shouldn't miss locations, focal lengths, packing suggestions, how to keep Quickloads dry, resources - books, articles, etc, and any other advice. I'll be taking my Arca-Swiss 4x5 and using Velvia and (probably) Astia 100 Quickloads.
    Don,

I wish I could join you. I'm suffering from canyon withdrawal. I've done four river trips in the last six years and I can say that you will have a life-changing experience. I've taken my 4x5 and digital/35mm cameras on each trip. Since you are going on a 21 day river trip, I assuming that it is an oar trip. If so your packing needs will be different. My trips were motor trips.

The best thing you can do is to get in shape. Not only will you be helping to load and unload the boat(s) twice a day (and set up lunch) you also have to set up camp and tear down your camp. In September, you will only have 12 hours of sunlight so you don't want to have to rest to regain your energy so you can hike up into North Canyon. I spend my time in the gym using the stairmaster. There are very few flat hikes in the canyon. Hiking in the canyon is not easy (but it is fun). Get some good sandals (chaco's seem to be a favorite) for boat and camp wear. Some kind of camelback hydration system that you can clip to you camera bag or wear under your life jacket is also helpful -- it helps to keep down the water bottle clutter.

I would bring a pelican case to keep your film as dust, sand and water free as possible. Paint the case white to avoid cooking the film. I have seen other photographers use old ammo cans to keep film dry.

As for film, I used velvia 50 and provia 100 quickloads. Bring a spare quickload holder and ground glass. I shot 1 to 2 boxes a day. Bracketing is your best friend. The canyon can be a high contrast environment but most if not all of your large format shooting will be done early in the morning or late in the evening. The side canyons are where some of the best photography can be found. You'll be using nice low contrast reflected light off of canyon walls in the side canyons

Keep your camera in a Lowepro Dryzone bag, if possible, and then keep that in a large drysack. You only want to get into your pelican case only while off the water.

I have a Tachihara 4x5 and my lens choices are somewhat limited. I used a Schneider 80mm, Fujinon 125mm, Gold Rim Dagor 150mm and 210mm, a Schneider 270mm and a Fujinon 400mm Telephoto. All the lenses are kept in two Gnass Gear lens cases along with extra cable releases.

Bring a carbon fiber tripod. Your knees will thank you. I made the switch from aluminum to carbon fiber after my first trip. I kept my tripod in an ordinary tripod case. Your tripod will take a beating while being used in the canyon. I've had a tripod submerged up to the head at least once every trip. Really Right Stuff makes a head that will handle your 4x5 quite well.

Bring a digital (or film camera) for the boat. Some of the best images from my last trip are from the boat. I used my old Nikon D70 as my boat camera. I kept it around my neck and used a gallon freezer zip-lock bag to keep the spray off it. Be prepared to have to repair/service whatever camera you use. It will get trashed. My D70 still works but it is in bad need of servicing.

As far as locations, every ten feet is a good location. Some of the highlights are: North canyon, national canyon, Havasui canyon, Matcatamabi (sp) canyon, veaseys paradise, olo canyon, monument canyon, lava falls, Whitmore canyon, Nankoweep grainerys, Conquistator Aisle, Elves chasm, Confluence of the Little Colorado, Deer Creek Falls, Shinumo Falls, etc. Some of these are campsites, others are day use only. My last trip was with Gary Ladd and he decided to see the lesser visited places along the river. It was great not to be in competition for campsites from other groups and I have some awesome images from those places.

The first book I would pick up is Gary Ladd's "Grand Canyon - Time Below the Rim" book. Next would be "The Grand" by Steve Miller. I also recommend "Breaking into the Current: Boatwomen of the Grand Canyon" by Louise Teal and
    "There's This River..." By Christa Sadlerso so you can get a feel for what 21 days on the river will feel like.

As far as clothing, wear stuff that you don't care about trashing. I wouldn't bring more than two or three changes of clothes. You'll want rain gear, long underwear, fleece but don't go overboard. I've spent 40 days in paradise over 4 trips and there is nothing more frustrating then to pack and unpack something out of your drysack that you just don't need. Bring crazy glue and lots of it. Your fingers will split due to the low humidity and alkaline water. Using crazy glue to seal the cracks works much better than a bandage. Here's a link to the Arizona Rafting Adventures website that goes into all packing and clothing needs: http://www.azraft.com/gc_info-equip....rOpen=submenu3.

If you have any more questions, just send me a pm.

Hope this helps,

Drew, wow thanks! I'm out of town at the moment but when I return home I'll take a closer look at the wealth of information you shared. I probably will be contacting you.

Yes, it is a non-motorized trip, so I'll be out for 21 to 24 days, depending on where we decide to take out (Lake Mead or earlier). While I don't usually shoot much negative film, I have been thinking of trying some Fuji 160 or Kodak Portra to use on some of the wider dynamic range scenes. I have been weighing the merits of bringing along a digital camera so your comments have been particularly helpful there. I don't own one so it would have to be a purchase (h-m-m-m, prosumer or lower end dslr).

I have offered some inducements to my trip mates to exchange $ for prints for some of my camp chores, trying to free up more time to shoot. Three weeks is a long time on the sleeping mat and I know from experience if I'm fatigued I don't shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I'm slightly embarrased to send you there after seeing your page, but it will give you some idea of what is down there.
    Gregg Waterman
    You have no reason to be embarrased about anything in regards to your photographs. Very nice work. It's obvious you worked hard to make these images.

Remember one thing, the only place in the canyon you can get poison ivy is at vaesey's paradise. You have been warned.

Trip planning update

A few updates on planning for my Sep. Colorado River trip: I have purchased a Pentax K20d and a 10-20mm lens for shooting from the water and for the super-wide canyon shots. I also will be adding a 100-300mm lens and a 1.4 teleconverter for the Pentax to bring in some of the wildlife I might see (it also meets some other needs I have for long range bird shots). Bill Gates I'm not, but it's fun to act like it and in the spirit of helping the economy I have also added a Storm waterproof case to carry my 4x5 gear and a Lowepro waterproof bag to haul the dslr stuff. In one Lowepro user report, the reviewer said that he actually swam with his bag in the water while on his river trip. (I think I'll double bag it anyway.) The Storm case is the largest size that I can use as an airline carry on so it will do double duty when I travel with my gear.

Gregg, did your article on the "photo itinerary" ever publish and if so how can I see a copy of it?

Andrew and others who have used their 4x5 gear on the river: what focal lengths did you find yourselves using most frequently. Currently, I have a 75, 90, 150, 200, 300 and 450. There's limited space in the Storm case I'm thinking that I won't take more than 3 or 4 lenses so am looking for some help based on your experiences.

Gary Ladd's book was one of my favorites on the Canyon even before I knew that I was going. And now, I have read Steve Miller's, The Grand, Jeff Garton's book and a couple more.

As a test I recently shot some Fuji 160S but have not yet had it developed. I plan on going a week early to shoot from the north and south rims, and if I have any energy left after when the trip ends mid-October, I hope to catch some fall color from above. In my consulting practice I have a client in Las Vegas and while there will be doing some runs to the south rim to see if I can add some images between now and September. It's not always easy to catch bad weather from the rims. I'm pretty sure I can do a large Grand Canyon and Colorado River Show at the gallery I'm at in Las Cruces and if I'm feeling ambitious (and energetic enough) may look for some other venues in southwest towns to present the show as well.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and well wishing.