Thread: comments on Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera

comments on Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera

What do you all think about this camera in the field use of architectural photography?

Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera + 4x5 Wide Angle Bellow and Toyo Compendium Lens Hood + 4x5 Binocular Reflex Hood w/ anvil case.

what do you think?

Re: comments on Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera

ok, how do you rate the toyo gx45 vs other mono rail cameras?

I think you'll find most of the Toyo line to be reasonably well made, especially for the price point.

In my (humble) opinion the sweet spot in the line is the 45F, the 45E doesn't have user changable (easily) bellows, and the 45G has geared shift, a feature I really don't feel that much of a need for. However given the price is reasonable, it would certainly be a good camera.

I have a D, E, F, a D based homebuilt 8x10, and a few other manufacturers LF cameras (as well as several ULF cameras of my own design), other than some sub work I do for an architectural firm which I shooot with a Sinar F, they write the check and the requirements are that everything gets shot with their lenses, etc. For my own work, I use a 45F, and I really don't have a need for anything more, in fact the Sinar typically slows me down.

A few hours spent disassembling the gibs, cleaning and relubing/adjusting them, as well as disassembling the standards, thorough cleaning and critical adjustment of the preloads, etc. will net you a camera every bit as precise and smooth as the Sinar.

erie

Quote Originally Posted by jimmygcreative View Post
    What do you all think about this camera in the field use of architectural photography?

Toyo-View 4x5 45GX View Camera + 4x5 Wide Angle Bellow and Toyo Compendium Lens Hood + 4x5 Binocular Reflex Hood w/ anvil case.

what do you think?
    what do you think is a good far price the the items listed above: all in 8+ cond.

The GX is a relatively new model, so I would expect the camera to be in good-excellent condition, unless it was abused. B&H sells it for about $3,100 new, so I'd expect something in the range of 25% less for used. The bag bellows, compendium shade, and the bino viewer pop up on eBay frequently, so that's the best place to get a feel for current market prices. My sense is that the accessories sell for far less than the original retail, perhaps around $100 for each, but I haven't looked recently.

Although I have one, I don't find the bino viewer to be very convenient - especially in the field. The degree of magnification isn't sufficient (IMHO) for fine focusing, and it's a bit cumbersome to change the orientation of the viewer.

thanks.