Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildflowers in Death Valley

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Wildflowers in Death Valley

I was out in Death Valley last week, and noticed the wildflowers starting allready, with desert gold growing along the road between Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. Much of the state of California, including Death Valley, is getting rained on right now and the next few days, so it could be a pretty good year for wildflowers in the Mojave and southern California. Who knows, perhaps it could even rival the "bloom of the century" of 2005...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Re: Wildflowers in Death Valley

Interesting. Makes trip planning a bit difficult. I'm torn between Yosemite Valley in mid-April and DV in March. It's always a risk planning ahead for DV b/c it's a crap shoot concerning blooming yield.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    I was out in Death Valley last week, and noticed the wildflowers starting allready, with desert gold growing along the road between Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. Much of the state of California, including Death Valley, is getting rained on right now and the next few days, so it could be a pretty good year for wildflowers in the Mojave and southern California. Who knows, perhaps it could even rival the "bloom of the century" of 2005...
    I am sitting in DV right now and will be here for another 10 days. We had some rain Friday nite and it appears wild flowers could be good but I do not think it will get to 2005 color, but should be better than the last two years.
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Scott and Brian,

Thanks for keeping us informed. Where are the best choices of morels/lodges at night?

Asher

Scott and Brian,

Thanks for keeping us informed. Where are the best choices of morels/lodges at night?

Also what flowers are blooming right now? What would be your dream find?

Asher

And sunflowers are moving out of the sunflower state....

OK, I don't know what this has to do with the current post, but I read an article recently that suggests a Northward migration of Sunflowers. Here is a link to one of the articles:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...19-502-ak-0000

I guess the connection I am making here is that many of our favorite trips to photograph foliage, flowers and migrating creatures may change in terms of time and location in the near future.

Pelicans are being found farther North than in the past. This years Fall foliage season changed quite a bit with regard to timing.

Climate change... real or fantasy. Only our missed shots will tell, because we weren't in the right place or we were, but at the wrong time.

I should be there around feb. 10th. Will be my first time and can't wait. Any one spot you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Scott and Brian,

Asher
    Don't know about the mushrooms , but you will find motels at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek within the park. There may also be limited accommodations in the Panamint Springs area. At the Eastern entrances, there are places in Beatty and DV Junction.

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I should be there around feb. 10th. Will be my first time and can't wait. Any one spot you guys recommend?
    I've never been to DV this early in the year, but I was there a couple of years ago in April during the second best wild flower display in recent memory. I noticed that there were different opportunities at different altitudes. At Father Crowley point I was able to find some Desert Five Spots along the road and near Ubahebe Crater, there were carpets of small lilac colored daisies. Up in Wildrose Canyon there were other varieties. My understanding is that if you are too late at low altitudes, you can usually find something worthwhile at the higher elevations. You can find sites on the web that will show you what to look for with names and colors. Try here: http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html