Thread: Yet "Another" Arca Swiss "Weight" Related Question...

Thumbs up Yet "Another" Arca Swiss "Weight" Related Question...

Can the Arca be considered a truly Field Based Camera?

I know Kerry has always advocated weight, cutting down his Toho to weigh a good bit under 2lbs which is rediculously light. But since, I see he has become more and more fond of the AS beauty/system and has made many additions such as the Orbix, different and higher end standards, etc. etc...

Though this is not necessarily a question directed for Kerry since I am really looking for others that use this pretty much purely as a field camera, but again...

Lets say we go on weight and give an average weight of 6lbs per Arca user's camera. This can even be something inventive like Kerry's 4X10 or even a 5X7 (custom type to reduce weight) that weighs 5-6lbs.

I suppose this could, in a sense, be a two part question relative to what people consider to be appropriate weight for a field based camera, but lets just stick with 4X5 or conversions that keep weight to 6lbs maximum, for total camera complete with lensboard, but no lens...

Is this and in particular, the Arca Swiss a Field Camera?

Cheers all and Happy New Year's first couple of days so far!!!

Re: Yet "Another" Arca Swiss "Weight" Related Question...

Well, sure it can be a field camera. My field camera is a Sinar P 4x5/8x10 system, which is quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the Arca. I doubt that there's anything worth photographing outside of the range of my wheeled cart.

I used to have the Toho, and the light weight was certainly great, but I got sick of dealing with it's idiosyncracies.

I've lusted after the Arca for years, as operating it is incredibly smooth. It also packs down compactly. If I had the dough, I'd certainly consider one as my main camera, including using it for day hikes.

Whatever you get, make sure to get a good carrying system.

Have you actually used a large format camera yet? Comparing features and fooling around with the gear is a fun hobby in itself, but maybe if you went out and shot with an Arca you'd understand that in most cases the Arca is a dream for field work.

The term "field camera" doesn't have a precise, universally accepted definition so to some extent you can choose your own. But historically and in common usage monorails haven't been considered "field cameras." So I wouldn't call the Arca a field camera, I'd call it a monorail that's suitable for use in the field. But then who cares what it's called, the question is whether it suits your needs.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The 8x10 weights 8.7 Lbs, so a 4x5 should weight considerably less. Now, for field use the AS is a dream come true....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Have you actually used a large format camera yet? Comparing features and fooling around with the gear is a fun hobby in itself, but maybe if you went out and shot with an Arca you'd understand that in most cases the Arca is a dream for field work.
    I have, but just making sure I am doing the right thing by making the Arca my camera of choice for years to come. I know many have the luxury to have all sorts, but I need to limit things to one and only one. Well, I may have multiple backs with bellows and front standards for the system, but just wanted to be sure I am selecting the right camera before I head into it all full fledged. So far my only experience has been with older wooden cameras, a Tachihara, Nagaoka, etc. type wood fields. I have used some of the more basic monorails from Cambo and Calumet as well, but I love the small footprint design of the Arca I have that unfortunately needs a front standard, bellows, and back to get me going with it.

Daniel Geiger

I use an AS 4x5 for outdoor day hikes for about 3 years now, and schlep around quite a bit of gear, to be specific, about 50 pounds plus water and food (see the pack article on the LFP home page). Hope you don't mind sweating for your shots, but it is very nice to work with. Not an ounce or regret here.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I hike with my old Arca 4x5/5x7 B regularly. It's light, precise, very versatile and quick to set-up and as such is a very fine "field" camera for me.
    (The older models can possibly be even a bit lighter than some of the large versions of the more modern ones, although the newer and smaller 140 and 110mm frames should certainly make up for that.
    Incidently, I recently weighed the old plastic 4x5 (for 171x171mm) B Model (for base tilt) standard frames (without function carriers) and they're each 130g lighter than the 171mm ones from the F-series.) I never weighed the whole camera as there never is such a thing...I either use the 4x5 setup or the 5x7 setup and one or two bellows with three standards....Or sometimes just hike with the 5x7, set up for 6x17: W/A leather bellows, the short rail and the 617 Canham back...you get the idea......
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."