Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Crown Graphic

Lens for Crown Graphic

Hello, I am new to LF and looking for a little help. I have settled on the Crown Graphic as my first 4x5. However, I am still confused on getting a usable lens for it(I am ordering from KEH.com). Despite doing quite a bit of reading, I am still slightly confused about lens boards, sizes, coverage etc. Basically, without wasting too much of your time, could someone give me a brief rundown on lens boards etc. in relation to the Crown Graphic? Also could someone lead to me to the cheapest possible lens to start with?(preferably from this list http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

I appreciate everyone's help and hope this is in the right section and everything. Thanks.

Dave Karp

Re: Lens for Crown Graphic

I wrote this a while back: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer

It should help you with coverage, etc. It also discusses lensboards and even shows a Crown with a lensboard and lens on it.

Normal lenses range from 135mm to 165mm or so. Your choice depends on your subject matter and how you see.

You will want to choose your predrilled lensboard after you choose your lens. The shutter size determines the hole size in the lensboard. Here is a table showing the various hole sizes for different shutters: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ole_sizes.html. KEH describes their stuff by the hole size in mm.

You won't get too much help from KEH sales people with LF stuff unless you are lucky enough to get one who uses this stuff. Another alternative is Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). He can help you make a good choice. MPEX has lots of used lenses. They also have new lensboards for Crown Graphics in stock. I have purchased from both. I prefer MPEX when I have a choice.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

There are a number of different options for you to consider. On a press-type camera one option is going with the type of lens originally provided. They are fairly plentiful on ebay and can be found at affordable prices.

Here is one of the original lenses:

Ebay item number: 150198117402; http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Optar-13...QQcmdZViewItem

and this is the type of lensboard you'll need (with the correct size hole):

Ebay item number: Item number: 130185545989; http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-lens-boa...QQcmdZViewItem

This is not an endorsement of either auction, but simply to give you a picture of what you might consider. Check www.graflex.org to find out more about your new camera and the other types of lenses you could also consider.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean I can use any lens regardless of shutter and hole size on a crown? And I'm guessing it is not too difficult (or different) to mount a LF lens? And I have ordered from MPEX before, but did not know they carried LF. Thanks for the reference.

EDIT: Your article covered some of what I just asked. Thanks!

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by ghs421 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean I can use any lens regardless of shutter and hole size on a crown? And I'm guessing it is not too difficult (or different) to mount a LF lens?
    You are welcome.

1. Sort of. Great big heavy lenses with big shutters might be a bit big for those small boards. It might make the camera pretty darn front heavy. Otherwise, you can pick any lens with a shutter that will fit on the board. I think MPEX has undrilled boards, and boards with holes for No. 0 and No. 1 shutters. I have used lenses from 75mm to 300mm in my Crown.

2. Not difficult at all. You need a good spanner wrench or lens wrench (both shown in the article). Just be careful.

You really should just get a clean Crown Graphic top rangefinder model with a late model Schneider Xenar 135/4.7 lens "ready to go". Buy a lens for a Crown separately is going to be a lot more expensive and you won't be able to take advantage of being able to use the rangefinder without setting it up (for the older side mounted rangefinders) or finding a hard to find "cam" (for the later top mounted rangefinders).

The top mounted rangefinder Crowns with Xenar lenses were the last models made, so they will most likely be in better condition than the side mounted rangefinder/Ektar lens versions....

Since you can find clean late model Crowns with matching Xenars for between $250 to $500... believe me you will have a lot less headaches and hassles than trying to match stuff up and adjust the rangefinder for a different lens.

Later on you always buy longer or shorter lenses, mess around with the rangefinder, etc. but right now keep it simple and start shooting sooner than later. Cameras with matched lenses are just going to be so much easier all around...
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 27-Dec-2007 at 19:24.

I did see a Crown "ready to go" in the classifieds which I may take advantage of. In regards to the rangefinder, I don't know how much I'd use it compared to the ground glass. Also, the crown can accept rb67 roll film backs right? The RB67 is one of my current systems, so that is a nice advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ghs421 View Post
    Also, the crown can accept rb67 roll film backs right? The RB67 is one of my current systems, so that is a nice advantage.
    No, a 4x5 Crown can't accept RB roll backs, at least not without some sort of adapter from 4x5 to 2x3 Graflok fittings. A 2x3 Graphic with a Graflok back can, though.

You can "use" lenses from 65mm to 210mm on your Crown Graphic with the bellows length it has. The 65mm would require you to drop the bed to keep it out of the photo. I have used lenses mounted in the big Copal 3 shutters, if the rear element is not too big to go thru the opening in the camera. New lensboards are readily available from MPEX, and are offered in blank, and pre-drilled for the smaller shutter sizes.

Oh, you can use "longer" lenses if they are "telephoto" in design, which means they will focus with less bellows than conventional lenses. I have successfully used a 500mm Komura telephoto in Copal 3 on my Graphic.

The Crown in the For Sale area looks like a decent package. The 127mm Ektar lens is very nice. I like mine a lot. You also get a Polaroid back. You could order some Polaroid Type 55 film and be taking pictures when the camera arrives. When you get comfortable with the camera, start looking for another lens, maybe longer like a 203mm Ektar?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei