Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious back on Speed Graphic

Re: Mysterious back on Speed Graphic

When I purchased my first Speed Graphic on ebay I thought I was getting a grafloc back but ended up with one like in the picture. I was dissappointed and only recieved a portion of money back because of the inacuracy of the description. I then sold the camera and it got damaged in transit and I had to end up paying back the buyer (paypal got involved). I than advertised it here and no one wanted it so I ended up selling it for $40 or so on ebay. The polaroid 545 back will not work with this camera unless one modifies the light trap ridge, etc. It can be done but easier to find the right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    The information that quick loads or any other modern holders will fit that back s incorrect. Go to www.graflex.org for the straight scoop on these things. I specialize in Speed Graphic and I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. You can easily change the entire back for something more modern. It's a simple swap, with no mods necessary.
    Edit: I just re-read your post, and yes, the back off your old Speed Graphic, if it's the same format (ie 4X5) will exchange. Just remove the screws that hold it to the camera and exchange. Should be two little screws at the very top and two or three at the very bottom. Some later ones have a screw under the focus panel, at the light trap groove. A ten minute conversion.
    Well, so much for my information on the backs that fit. I surely thought the back that was shown in the original post was the same Graflok fittings I have on a back for a project I intend ???someday???. I dug out the back I have. It came from a Graflex body I purchase, and I do have a new style Koday Readyload that fits on it, and a 6X6 roll fill back that fits. I also have the removable ground glass attachment with hood.

But in looking closely at the camera in the original post I can see that the sliders/locks on that back have a different look to them.

Here are some pics of the back I have, with the Readyload attached. This is the new style Readyload with slots in the sides AND a pressure plate. It works with Readyload, and Fuji Quickload packets.

Now that one is a Graflok (International) back. A totally different thing that didn't come out until after WWII. All accessories made to fit the International back on any camera will work with the Graflok. It was the model for everyone else's back, and was adopted as the International standard.

OK and thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    Now that one is a Graflok (International) back. A totally different thing that didn't come out until after WWII. All accessories made to fit the International back on any camera will work with the Graflok. It was the model for everyone else's back, and was adopted as the International standard.
    I am a car buff/enthusiast for over 40 years. I always thought tracking proper parts for various models and years of cars was a real challenge. That is, until I got involved with Large Format cameras. I've been using 35mm and 120 roll film for years. However, I lived in Cincinnati for a while and used to go up to the old church housing Columbus Camera Group. I was there in the early 90's and I used to pull out boxes of old camera stuff from under the benches. That's where I bought my first LF camera. An old graflex, which fortunately had a Graflok back just like the one in my pictures....

Whooo ... So many details.

The Graflex back was usually found on Graflex SLR's. On those cameras it made a lot of sense since you could use thick holders, roll=film. bag mag or whatever without interfering with focusing. The spring "Graphic" back was usually found on other cameras, but limited the types of holder usable. If, however, someone had a bunch of Graflex style holders, or wanted versatility at the cost of convenience, he could order a Speed Graphic with the Graflex back. I think some genius must have decided to combine the virtues of both types and thus the Graflok was born.

If you do change backs, don't throw away the focusing panel. They are nice to have on the raflex camera. I'd pay you $30.00 for it and you might get more here or on eBay.