Thread: Kalimar repair

Kalimar repair

One of my non-large format cameras is a Kalimar 660 medium format. It needs repairing for both the shutter and the normal lens.

This is a 1950's-60's SLR that I want to put back into working order just for my own pleasure. Can anyone recommend a repair service who might tackle this project?

Thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Kalimar repair

You might check with Carol Miller at Flutot's.

Try Camera Wiz in Harrisonbug, VA. If he is still working it is his kind of thing.

Thanks, Bob.

I had already checked with Carol (an extremely valued repairer of anything I own large format) and she declined. I think this ancient one was just "too weird for color TV" to quote a favorite movie. Carol's brilliance with large format shutters is unquestioned.

Ted, I'll try to look up Camera Whiz. I hope he's eccentric with a sense of humor and the value of resurrecting history.

Thanks to both of you.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

You might want to try asking over at the Classic Camera Repair Forum:

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

OK also on Camera Wiz

Frank Marshman at Camera Wiz (540)434-8133 has done a couple of nice repair/cla jobs in the past for me. He currently has my fuji GS645 in for a new bellows, repairs, shutter linkage mod, and CLA. Yep, he's still in the biz. if that's what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    One of my non-large format cameras is a Kalimar 660 medium format. It needs repairing for both the shutter and the normal lens.

This is a 1950's-60's SLR that I want to put back into working order just for my own pleasure. Can anyone recommend a repair service who might tackle this project?
    Try giving Fred a call at ICT Camera at 650-961-5825 when he gets back on Jan 2nd. He has done great work on shutters and cameras for me in the past.

What's wrong with the lens you have?

-Darren

Thanks to everyone who have responded so quickly. I will be calling every one of the services who have been suggested and see who wants to tackle this project.

Darren, the lens is the later version of the 80mm with the battleship gray paint work. It is just fine as far as the smoothness of focus and the diaphragm action, but when you rack it out to the closest focusing distance, the whole barrel comes apart in two very distinct pieces. It will go back together again, but it just isn't supposed to happen that way.

I used to own another one of these back in the late 60's-early 70's and it eventually did the same thing. I am assuming (always a dangerous thing to do) that there is some "keeper" or stop that is part of the machining and that it eventually wears away, allowing the separation to occur.

By the way, I am looking for the 300mm Kaligar lens that was made for this system (also battleship gray). If any of you happen to have one of these oddments on a shelf somewhere, I'd be delighted to discuss trade or price with you.

Thanks.

Tim