Thread: Berlebach 4032 in the field -- practical??

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Berlebach 4032 in the field -- practical??

I'm considering a Berlebach 4032 for use with my Arca 4x5 and 8x10 systems. I currently use a Gitzo 1341, but want a single-leg extension tripod that's sturdy, and doesn't weigh 15 pounds.

I've read a few props for this model here and there on the forum, but one gnawing question...is it a PIA to haul around in the field? I ask this because it's about 40" with the legs retracted, and that seems a bit unwieldy.

Any words of advice from current users would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas!
    ~Mark

Re: Berlebach 4032 in the field -- practical??

Do you mean 3042? If so, I have one (which I got with a short center post) as my second tripod. I like it very much, especially for the price. The leveling post is quite nice -- you really don't need a separate head with it for many kinds of photography, and so the camera can sit that much lower to the apex of the tripod. Without a head it's about as stable as my Gitzo 1348 + RRS head, but lighter and much less expensive.

When you say haul around, what do you mean? Short trips from a car, no problem. I'm not sure I'd want to take it with me on a hike on the the entire length of the Appalachian Trail, but it folds down reasonably well.

I've not used it with my Sinar yet, but have used it extensively with my Fuji 680 (which is easily as heavy as just about any 4x5 or 5x7 you'd want to use in the field, although perhaps not as unwieldy as an 8x10).

Berlebach Homepage (in english)

Maybe that helps

Gerd

I used a Berlbach Tripod briefly some 6-7 years ago. I found it good value for the money but can't recommend it for long treks in the woods. It's just too unwieldy for my taste. However, YMMV ... what is unwieldy or a PIA for me my be a piece of cake for you. I sold mine rather quickly.

Berlebachs win the stability for the money contest every time. Bulk is the problem.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carstens View Post
    I'm considering a Berlebach 4032 for use with my Arca 4x5 and 8x10 systems. I currently use a Gitzo 1341, but want a single-leg extension tripod that's sturdy, and doesn't weigh 15 pounds.

I've read a few props for this model here and there on the forum, but one gnawing question...is it a PIA to haul around in the field? I ask this because it's about 40" with the legs retracted, and that seems a bit unwieldy.

Any words of advice from current users would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas!
    ~Mark
    Do you really need one that tall? I have a 9003 and I never use anything like the full height with LF (used a bit more with MF).

I'm thinking of getting a single extension one, but smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    Do you really need one that tall? I have a 9003 and I never use anything like the full height with LF (used a bit more with MF).

I'm thinking of getting a single extension one, but smaller...
    Point well-taken, Justin. I'm 6' 3" in hiking boots, so every inch counts, but the driving force here is the price. I can get a second hand 4032 for $200. I could probably get by with a new 3002 or a 3012, but they'll cost me another $75-$100 anyway.

I hate center columns, so those options are off the table from the get-go.

Hence, my dilemma. I should probably just quit fussing over it and buy the damn thing.

~Mark

PS - Thanks for the additional input, too, my friends.

I'm late to this thread, but thought I'd answer since the 4032's what I take with me. It's not lightweight or short, but the stability and the height make it worth the effort for me. (At 6'7", I'll take every bit of height I can get in a tripod.) For short distances I just carry it, and for longer distances I strap it to the center of my Lowepro.

As to whether or not it's practical...that really depends on what you plan to do. It is big and it isn't light, but if you're going to be on trails or if the ground cover isn't too obnoxious, it's not so large as to become a burden. If your plans make you consider lightening your load (climbing or hiking for many hours), then you'll probably want to leave it behind.

Uhh.... you're hauling an 8x10 in the field, and you're worried about whether the tripod will be a PIA?

Dave, thanks for the user experience. That's a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    Uhh.... you're hauling an 8x10 in the field, and you're worried about whether the tripod will be a PIA?
    LOL, Alan! I may be crazy, but I'm not a glutton for punishment!

The backpack is clearly the greatest burden when the 8x10 is along for the ride. I guess my question was more about reaching critical mass in my payload with the extra weight (over what I carry now)...that, and there are times when twisting the Gitzo leg compression rings six times over is a PIA.