Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please! - Mac finder not launching OSX 10.4.11

Baxter

Help please! - Mac finder not launching OSX 10.4.11

Hoping someone might be able to give some advice here. I have a problem with my Mac OSX which is proving a headache to fix.

Woke computer up from sleep and desktop icons not present, nor top menu bar. When looking in 'force quit' Finder blinks on and off. Computer functions, slowly and cannot launch a finder window. Have run disk utility and repaired permissions. Restarting computer has no rectifying effect.

Logged in with another test admin account and all functioning normally. Tried using OSX Help, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Seems that somehow that my main User account files are corrupted. Problem is that I haven't a clue what they are called and where to find them. Am sure that it will be simple to fix, once I know what to look for, delete and restart.

I have Leopard waiting to go, but do not want to install at present since Epson 7800 printer drivers and Flexcolor software are rumoured to have issues at present. Also see installing this with current problem as risky.

Many thanks

Re: Help please! - Mac finder not launching OSX 10.4.11

Did you try zapping p-ram?

apple option p r

hold it down at first chime of start up and then keep holding it till the machine chimes 3 more times------ a total of 4

sometimes this fixes the oddest things. sometimes it doesnt

Baxter

Thanks, just tried the zapping, but sadly hasn't solved the problem.

Something that might help.... go to the Home > Library > Preferences folder and trash the two files com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.sidebarlists.plist from another account.

You could also boot from the system CD and run Repair Permissions.

Baxter

Thanks very much rootprompt and Marko

I've now tried deleting those two files, sadly no improvement.

Also have rebooted from System disk and run Disk Utilities, verified and repaired permissions. tried repairing disk, when the Disk Utility ended up quitting. Have now run it through 3 times, each with identical error message as below:

The Disk Utility quits with a pop up window stating that
    'First aid failed IDsk Utility stopped repairing because the following error was encountered. The underlying task reported failure on exit.

Prior to this DU found
    Invalid directory count
    Invalid vollume free block count
    Volume needs minor repair

Repairing volume

The volume could not be repaired
    Error The underlying task reported failure on exit.
    1 HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
    Repair attempted on 1 volume
    1 volume could not be repaired.

So given that the HD appears to function, in other admin account and only Finder not working so far as I can tell on normal user account. Do I press ahead and try an archive install?

Very ignorant on these matters. Would it be better to go for the Leopard install? Worried that if I do then an underlying problem will be encapsulated in the new OS.

Back up all your important files first if you haven't done so already, and installing Leopard at this time could be a major fubar event, same goes for archive and install.
    How old is your boot drive ?
    Did Disk Utility report an error number when it said that the Underlying Task failed ?

Baxter,

I would definitely NOT install anything until the source of the problem is found!

Given that repairing volume was unsuccessful, there may be a possibility of a HD problem. If that is the case, your problems will only get worse and no upgrade or reinstallation would help.

If I were you, I'd much rather install Leopard clean on a new HD and then simply transfer the files and settings from the old drive. That way, you'd end up with a brand new OS on a brand new disk and you would also have a spare disk that you could use for scratch or temporary storage until it fails.

Go here: http://www.macfixitforums.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

If it's an older Macbook Pro there was a problem with the logic boards taking a dump after time.

Baxter

Thanks for the advice

Plan is to move some files around, create a new boot drive from one of the 4 in the G4 and then establish fault of the HD, probably getting a new one. However not my highest priority at this time of year. So let's all go and have a beer.....

Have a great Xmas everyone.