Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Non traditional photographs

Re: Non traditional photographs

q zuili, I like the feeling of antiquity that I have when I view your image. When I ask myself why that happens, I find that it arises from what would normally be considered imperfections in the print...very effective in this case. The strong triangular shape also is quite wonderful. I choose to consider it a road or pathway but it could be other things to other people. As such it has great symbolic meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Ahnfelt View Post
    ”...showing some photographs of a more abstract nature?”
    How about some optical trickery?
    Joakim, Another engaging photograph. It certainly stops my mad dash by making me sort out what is happening here...What is this I am brought to ask...Questions are powerful things.

Thanks Donald,
    It's a line !
    Guillaume

Somewhat Escheresque - I had to come back a few times to figure out what was going on. I won't spoil it for others. Thanks Joakin.

Another recent photograph. Made with 5X7 Wisner (305 G Claron) with 4X5 reducing back and 4X5 Velvia. Exposure F16 @ 34 seconds.

Donald, Your images remind me of "camera toss" images - each one is very unique and intriguing. Although achievable with LF gear, most "tossers" use point and shoot digicams. They are certainly non-traditional, and in my opinion very beautiful. Check out my friend Dave Hull's portfolio:

http://flickr.com/photos/mtnrockdhh/...7594577784688/

Ah... now see how you are doing this. Sort of like the funny mirrors in a fair. You create reflections on a piece of mylar and then you distort the mylar to give you these shapes...pretty ingenous......and some great shots to boot..

The great thing about these shots is that I think they would work very well both in B&W as well as color...

OTOH, you are in Italy and you are staying inside doing this?!?..... Here goes a virtual slap upside the head...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Ah... now see how you are doing this. Sort of like the funny mirrors in a fair. You create reflections on a piece of mylar and then you distort the mylar to give you these shapes...pretty ingenous......and some great shots to boot..

The great thing about these shots is that I think they would work very well both in B&W as well as color...

OTOH, you are in Italy and you are staying inside doing this?!?..... Here goes a virtual slap upside the head...
    Jorge, It is pea soupy here in Milano like only London was supposed to be...But, oh well, everyone has to be somewhere sometime.

On a serious note, no mylar is used in this distortion chamber...just more than nine planes of lens(s) and stages of reflection...but individually they are rigid fixtures that while adjustable are not flexible in and of themselves. Mylar is far too unpredictable for me.

Yes, black and white works great too. Each photograph is a distortion of a normal occurence or scene in everyday life.

Hope that everything is going well with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Donald, Your images remind me of "camera toss" images - each one is very unique and intriguing. Although achievable with LF gear, most "tossers" use point and shoot digicams. They are certainly non-traditional, and in my opinion very beautiful. Check out my friend Dave Hull's portfolio:

http://flickr.com/photos/mtnrockdhh/...7594577784688/
    Eric, Thanks for the link to your friend's site. He has some beautiful and intriguing images. I had not heard of camera toss before. Thanks for your compliment. Best regards.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

one of my favorite tricky landscapes, by Mike Smith ...

(original web page: http://www.kochgallery.com/artists/c...series/01.html)