Thread: Arca Swiss owners w/modded rear standards to a size you prefer...wood or metal?

Thumbs up Arca Swiss owners w/modded rear standards to a size you prefer...wood or metal?

I know many around here have gone to a custom back for their Arcas and I'm really considering using an old plate camera, since I want to shoot 6.5X8.5 and have it as my rear standard, using the metal bracket to fit around the wood frame and slotting onto the Arca rear carrier. At the same time, I cannot help but lust over that pretty looking metal based deal that Kerry has made for his 4X10.

I suppose some questions:

1) Would an older wood back pose any issues as a viable option for the rear standard?

2) Would it make more sense to just have a wood back custom made, even if it costs $600 more?

3) What would be the benefit, aesthetics aside, of having a metals based rear back vs. a wood type for the Arca rear?

4) Last question...Is there a way to take the bellows from the older camera (see #1) and somehow attach them to the front standard or would I be best to get new bellows? I know Kerry's Lotus used the original bellows, but I think it was made for a 110 standard? and is why he was able to adapt the front a bit easier than it may be with one of these older cameras.

Thanks to everyone that can help on this subject.

Re: Arca Swiss owners w/modded rear standards to a size you prefer...wood or metal?

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    I know many around here have gone to a custom back for their Arcas and I'm really considering using an old plate camera, since I want to shoot 6.5X8.5 and have it as my rear standard, using the metal bracket to fit around the wood frame and slotting onto the Arca rear carrier. At the same time, I cannot help but lust over that pretty looking metal based deal that Kerry has made for his 4X10.

I suppose some questions:

1) Would an older wood back pose any issues as a viable option for the rear standard?

2) Would it make more sense to just have a wood back custom made, even if it costs $600 more?

3) What would be the benefit, aesthetics aside, of having a metals based rear back vs. a wood type for the Arca rear?

4) Last question...Is there a way to take the bellows from the older camera (see #1) and somehow attach them to the front standard or would I be best to get new bellows? I know Kerry's Lotus used the original bellows, but I think it was made for a 110 standard? and is why he was able to adapt the front a bit easier than it may be with one of these older cameras.

Thanks to everyone that can help on this subject.
    SK Grimes can machine an arca compatible format frame that would accept your back. They are doing this for a 14x20 Deardorff back for me. I asked them to make a detachable bellows frame. As far as attaching the bellows to the front standard, an option to the standard bellows frame would be to use a flat lensboard with a large hole in it.