Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Re: Who's Day Job is Photography?

I do but it's a very different sort: motion picture photography.

Tell us more?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Photography are my only income for the last 7 years. Have had it as a big interest and passion in +35 years.

I had another career before, far from photography, but had an accident with 7 surgeries that left me with cronic pain. I got an indemnity that I used to buy me some new gear and started my business. If I gonna live with pain I have to work with something I love and thats photography. Itīs been 7 good years fully booked, have to deny jobs almost every day. Canīt think of any other way to make my income, I have pain but handle it with medication and love for what I do.

Many years ago an old photographer told me that if you love photography donīt make it your work, all the fun get lost in money making. In a way he was right. Iīm one hell of a worker but a bad businessman so the first years as my own there was only work, 24/7. I guess I got some kind of diagnosis because I only have one way of doing things and thats all in. Doing things "kind of" are not my way Had I been a better businessman maybe I havenīt had to work as hard. Have to work on that

Since a couple of years back I found my way back to my personal photography and that like recovery and meditation. I shoot digital all day for income but my personal work are all analog. It have taken me from 135 via 120 and now 4x5, life is good So now itīs photography 24/7 but not only business.

I too shoot digital commercially and 4x5 film for my personal work. The separation helps me too enjoy my personal work more because it doesn't feel like work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I had a studio for a number of years and did wedding photography kid picts ect.... i cant stand to be around people now..... i have seen stuff that would curl your toes. I used to be a cop also and since i had experience in photography i used to photograph accidents.....i am 60 years old now... i just take pictures of my cat and my bird.... darn bird has out live 2 of my cats.... anyway i have an aversion from being around people. I really like alligators and birds and i will sit in the park for hours talking to them. I dont need to work but if i had to i would be as a nature photographer.... When you "talk" too and get to know animals around you they will show you some amazing things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRG_0075.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	88113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRG_4768.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	88114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRG_4817.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	88115

Digital micro work through inspection microscopes 1x to 30X magnification. Occasionally things as large as an inch or two. Large format is escapism and therapy. Sanity in large slow doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Tell us more?
    To be more specific, right now I'm a camera assistant. I manage a camera package, do all of the technical setup with it, freeing the director of photography and camera operator to spend their time lighting and creating shots. My other main duty is to pull focus. Since there are so many things to potentially change during a shot (camera height, position, pan, tilt, roll, zoom, iris, and focus) control of these things are usually split between the operator, one or both assistants, and the dolly grip. As a shot changes, I have to change focus based on distance marks on the lens and measurements I have taken in the scene.

Vinny here works in the same business but in the set lighting department. I've worked with him on a couple of shows now.

Started my full time photo career in 1968. Started as a photo journalist and then apprenticed with a master commercial photographer for a year and a half starting in 1972. Since then I've been a commercial and documentary photographer. 45 years and still love photography no matter whether I'm creating images for myself or a client. Until last year all of my documentary work was B&W film.

I still shoot some film personally and getting into collodion now. Virtually all of my commercial work has been digital for thirteen years. I have no issues with digital and now get a great deal of enjoyment shooting it. In the beginning I didn't enjoy digital for personal work but the turning point was going medium format and using the back on a view camera.