Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Downstairs

Re: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    ... I would argue that its beneficial to have some pressure when it comes to producing work. ... JY
    Absolutely. To reach a certain level of competence and creativity I believe a photographer needs criticism that really hurts and many re-shoots. You don't get that in a workshop you are paying for, nor from your wife.
    I knocked my thing into shape when I started to work for art-directors who could draw better than i, knew their beaux-arts, and were demanding to the limit of cruelty.
    Photography (at least in editorial and advertising) is the Snakes and Ladders game - you are only as good as your last job. Screw one and and it take three successful jobs to get back in line. To stay in line you've got to make into an art-directors Creative Annual (your CLEO) once a year. Drop out of that and you are a has-been.
    In summary, it is the whip that makes it a easier to produce good work as a pro. Forget the money.

Bravo! Bravo! Signori Broadbent !

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The best critique I have received was one for which I paid. It was straight and honest, and I knew where I needed improvement and I had ideas on how to get there. Yeah, I felt "stung" by it, but that was just a bit of air out of my ego. And then what did I do afterwards? I loaded up my camera and made more photographs!

Quote Originally Posted by David Beal View Post
    ...For 28 years I've been a full time lawyer...
    I´ve been for 15 years, after that I started producing videos and later on computer animations and 3 years ago the local photographer retired and I bought his "photoshop" and studio.

Now I do pics needed in driving licenses and passports, some weddings, some sport, some (family ) portraits, some cars, some dogs etc. etc..all digital.

During this 3 years I didnt shoot my 5x7s, and only some rolls with my Mamiya 330, so for me phtography was much more fun before.

Regards

Martin

I currently work part time for Shriners Hospital in Portland, Oregon as photographer and assistant graphic artist. Fun job! Neat people and working with kids is just grand.
    I also spent 10 years running Portland Photographers Forum. That was a joy as well. Loved it.
    Now, I'm developing a new group that helps high school kids photography, working with other non profits and their photographic needs and future ideas. Being closer to the general community.
    I love what I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Absolutely. To reach a certain level of competence and creativity I believe a photographer needs criticism that really hurts and many re-shoots. You don't get that in a workshop you are paying for, nor from your wife.
    I knocked my thing into shape when I started to work for art-directors who could draw better than i, knew their beaux-arts, and were demanding to the limit of cruelty.
    Photography (at least in editorial and advertising) is the Snakes and Ladders game - you are only as good as your last job. Screw one and and it take three successful jobs to get back in line. To stay in line you've got to make into an art-directors Creative Annual (your CLEO) once a year. Drop out of that and you are a has-been.
    In summary, it is the whip that makes it a easier to produce good work as a pro. Forget the money.
    Yes.
    Its a bittersweet experience, working in the world of self-expression, if that's what it is. But we're in agreement that growth comes out of experiencing some degree of pressure. There are things you'd never try unless you had to, but end up being glad you did.
    Like having to shoot a big honcho for a national publication when you've been told in advance that the guy is notoriously difficult. Do a few jobs like that and your skills will go beyond what was happening when you were just photographing friends, in spite of yourself. Without intending to, I became the go-to guy for those guys in the local wine industry back in the film days. Mainly by developing the ability to engage the subject while fiddling with compositions. I can't imagine how that's learned unless you've got an assignment.
    Work like yours doesn't come along from someone who's trying out the craft, Christopher. I admire your commitment.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I want to resurrect this thread and see if the recession has driven many people out of the profession. .
    workwise, the recession has been good to my school(!!)...

I have been teaching photography at a folk highschool for 10 years now.

As the recession tightens, more people doesnt' have the work possibillity as they used to have - the Goverment has made quite strict rules on how long you can stay unimployed with pay, so many more people gets the chance to attend this kind of school than in a situation, where we have "success" as a country....

funny thing: that thing is the only good thing I can say about our goverment...

My personal photography could never be a scourse of income here in DK...

Nobody is willing to pay for photographs....

Nobody is willing to pay for photographs....
    But Emil this started almost similar with digital here in Swiss, bevor everybody could take pictures they have paid for!
    But now everybody can take pictures!

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    But Emil this started almost similar with digital here in Swiss, bevor everybody could take pictures they have paid for!
    But now everybody can take pictures!

Cheers Armin
    I thing the problem has been the same always here in DK.

There's actually a court ruling that photography isn't art....

And the danes have had a LOT of cameras always, so "everybody" have taken pictures for a long, long time....

Mon-Fri and weddings on the weekends and I still can't wait to get out of bed every morning and get down to the studio!

Even in a "bad" economy, people still graduate from high school, get married, have babies, have family reunions, milestone events, and have a continued desire to document all of these.