Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Day Job is Photography?

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Re: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Does that pay well? I've often thought of that as a new career.
    -rob

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

This is where I'm at.

After years working as a sports photographer, I realized the money was gone from the field. So I lucked into a one year contract with Sony, mostly testing their prototypes and giving support to the dealers.

That work eventually became full time.

I still shoot some sports but now it's just the NHL. I have an open ended relationship with the client. I shoot what I can and they pay me. If I can't fit the game in, they don't mind.

I worked for years part-time as a Photo Editor at one of the large daily papers, but have quit in the past two weeks. I'm busy enough and have some projects I want to get done more than I needed the money from the paper.

My fine art sales sit around the same which is below $2000 a year.

I do own Bigcameraworkshops and continue working away at the business. I doubt if this business will ever turn a profit but I love to do it and am hopeful that one day it might. I see opportunity with this business but there isn't enough volume selling traditional photo supplies in Canada to make it a full-time gig... and I have no interest in selling digital gear and becoming a regular camera store.

I used to shoot some of my magazine portraits on LF just to keep it interesting. I've let that work slide because I don't have the time to do it. For the most part I'm very busy and not looking for any clients... just trying to keep the ones happy that I'm involved with.

My plans for the next couple year include cutting back on the hours worked.... and shooting portraits with a new 4x10 camera that I ordered last week.

Ask me in three years how it went.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    How can anyone who's day job is photography afford to buy large format lenses, film, and accessories?
    They are still a business expense .
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I was a musician before becoming a full-time photographer; believe me, this is a step up, even with the crummy economy and cheap-o clients.
    I've had countless other jobs, for a week or even a month, but those were to keep me going during leaner periods. In principle, I could do almost any kind of job, but this is what I love.
    That said, I honestly don't know what else I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    you mean you can get paid money to shoot photos! *gasp* and still eat?

nope not me. pure fun. no one wants to pay for my images....

eddie
    Yes, although the past couple of years have been "fun."
    On a more positive note the recession has weeded out a lot of the people who entered the market and really shouldn't have picked up a camera.

Are you planning on just photographing skinny people?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch View Post
    This is where I'm at.

My plans for the next couple year include cutting back on the hours worked.... and shooting portraits with a new 4x10 camera that I ordered last week.

Ask me in three years how it went.

-Rob
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Are you planning on just photographing skinny people?
    4x10 is wide people. 10x4 is for skinny people.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Brian, your comment hits home because it fits my experience in the music business almost exactly. I'm a very successful musician here in LA, and when lay people ask me about my instruments, they expect that I have $10k-20k guitars and am always looking for the next great one. They're always surprised when I show them my beautiful instruments that get the job done but cost nowhere near that. In fact, I'm still playing instruments I bought in the late 60s-early 70s, which still sound great.

It's nice to have an amazing luthier-built custom instrument, but it's not necessary to get the job done and in the end doesn't really sound any better. How can you spend a third of your income on equipment every year and still be able to live semi-comfortably? If I make a purchase decision it has to also inflate my bottom line. That's just sound biz practice...
    Brian: I have a vintage Guild D25-BR that I bought new in 1970. And after all that time it still has the sound I prefer best. I have 6 or so other Guilds and Gibsons.

But there is no way I could make my living as a musician... not then or now. It's just another hobby. Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Brian: I have a vintage Guild D25-BR that I bought new in 1970. And after all that time it still has the sound I prefer best. I have 6 or so other Guilds and Gibsons.

But there is no way I could make my living as a musician... not then or now. It's just another hobby. Cheers. Bob G.
    Wow, another Guild fanatic on the LF forum- I have an X-700, an X-170, a F4-12, and several other guitars. Not surprizing that many of us here enjoy fine guitars, since we like fine wood cameras. As far as making any money off of them, that's another story...
    Brian Vuillemenot

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

One day I hope to quite the day job but it may not happen. It gets in the way of teaching carbon transfer, building cameras and following my passion: Large and Ultra large Format photography and carbon printing. I've been able to make a little extra money that helps with the $$$ necessary for the 14x17 camera build. Yes, I too love fine instruments. I've got a nice 1968 Martin D-28 that my middle son plays and can't put down, 62' Strat, Yamaha Grand Piano etc. Always wanted to be a musician and I'm glad my three sons are amazing musicians. They keep telling me to let them play and me do the photography!

Jim