Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Re: Who's Day Job is Photography?

Adam, I'm going on 34 years as a full time professional. Even with all the up and downs and idiot clients I can't imagine doing anything else. Its been quite a ride. With the same amount of education I could have made more money in other fields but I can't imagine any field that would be more satisfying.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Adam, I'm going on 34 years as a full time professional. Even with all the up and downs and idiot clients I can't imagine doing anything else. Its been quite a ride.
    Kirk... with all the posts you've made... there are "NO" regrets???

I'm posting this with all due respect and best wishes. "I" sold out, as do most of us SELL OUT because we have no other support and MUST SUPPORT our families.

You're single, right??

Full time for almost 15 years, took a long break when my daughter was born, and now re-evaluating the situation.
    Looks kind of bleak out there, but I'm still plugging away, albeit with a different mind set and priorities than before.

I have been a full time photo instructor for 33 years. Does that count? I'm now looking to retire next year and hope to devote a lot more time to my photography than ever before. And with a new 810 on the way I better be.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Kirk... with all the posts you've made... there are "NO" regrets???

I'm posting this with all due respect and best wishes. "I" sold out, as do most of us SELL OUT because we have no other support and MUST SUPPORT our families.

You're single, right??
    Sorry to burst your bubble. No, I'm happily married with three children in their thirties and two grandchildren. I put three kids through out of state colleges with my photo income-a fact I'm very proud of and two of them are currently in doctoral programs. I have no source of income outside of photography-no rich uncles in my family-just drunks and bullshitters. And I didn't say "no regrets" I said "I can't imagine doing anything else". And FWIW I don't view it as "selling out"-its taking care of business. You gotta do what you gotta do. I was lucky enough to find a way to do it through photography.

If I have any regrets it would be not being able to adequately pursue my second love-archeology.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Jess C View Post
    I have been a full time photo instructor for 33 years. Does that count? I'm now looking to retire next year and hope to devote a lot more time to my photography than ever before. And with a new 810 on the way I better be.
    It counts to me. I have taught photography part time at the university level consistently since 1986. Its the hardest thing in photography I do-much harder than making photographs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Well I just read through this whole thread.
    I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks all, keep on truckin'....

I wasn't "full time" but part time with no other income for about 6 months. Did 6 $3k weddings and travelled for 6 months. At some point I decided to go to nuursing school which may or may not have been the best move. "something to fall back on". I'm on my 2nd year of work and now I'm considering trying to get back to some paying work again. I don't have a lot of interest in just taking gigs, but if I could get paid to do LF portraits or something cool like that, it would be cool.

My job is incredibly stressful, so I don't need or want to be super stressed out with anything else, but if I could use the job to make it possible to do more of what I love, well...that was the point in the first place.

I have been making my sole family income from photography since 1977 , our business is growing and I am happier today printing and exposing film for myself and others than at any other time, I plan to keep at it until the depends fill up and drag me down.

7 day a week passion year in year out , I cannot think of anything else I would rather do.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Since 1994 here. Photography only, nothing else. Either shooting commercially, editorially or teaching at various universities and a local prep-school. It's been a wild ride for sure, but amazingly fun.